The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons GS-10 of Unknown (To Me) Origin
John Gorlewski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 6:47 pm    

Hello All,

As the radio cliche goes, "long time listener, first time caller". I am a bit of a neophyte in the pedal steel world, having been primarily a 6-string player for over 30 years, but for about the past 10, I have also started to dabble in pedal steel.

I recently picked up my 3rd steel, and it seems pretty unique. I think it is an Emmons GS-10 (based on the serial number), but I was not really able to find another with this color/finish, after scouring the internet. The finish on the body seems to be an off-white formica, not unlike a 50s style kitchen table. It has no cutout on the side of the body that faces the player. As to what year, that is where I defer to the masters (all of you). It has obviously been sitting for quite a while, and needs some serious cleaning (as the pictures show). But I am pretty excited, as the consensus seems to be that the tone I may ultimately get from it will be worth the work.

Since my current gigging steel is a 60s Sho-Bud D-10 crossover, weighing in at 80lbs, I am also quite ready for something lighter, as I am not getting any younger. And the stairs get taller at every gig.
The serial number is "710 GS", as found on the changer. All of the electronics and mechanics seem to already function, but not without crackle. I have no intention of 'flipping it' for profit (though I am pretty sure I got a good deal on it), as I intend to clean it up and play it myself, but I would certainly appreciate knowing exactly what I am working with, as well as any recommendations as far as what to do and what NOT to do (I already know not to use WD40 on the changer...). It is definitely "barn-fresh", and it may be a long road back, and some guidance would be helpful.

I thank you all in advance for whatever wisdom you may choose to share with me

John

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 7:12 pm    

I have one the same color. Mine has four knee levers, it's a great sounding guitar. I've also replaced the original legs with new adjustable legs. It's much more stable with the new legs.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 7:18 pm    

GS-10 was my first pedal steel guitar, over 40 years ago. I added two knee levers and played it with a band for two years! A great student model and a push/pull tone machine.

John Gorlewski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 8:06 pm    

I forgot to add that mine has 3 levers, and the same red fur lined case. So, late 60s/early 70s-ish, then?

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 9:34 pm    

I like white guitars. They stand out...even in poor lighting.
Cool find!

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 3:58 am    

My GS-10 is serial # 400 and was shipped from the factory in January 1974.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 4:28 am    

I have a white GS10. The two pictured in this thread, along with mine, are the only ones I've seen. There are probably a few more out there but I would guess not many.

I believe the most common color of Emmons' student models is rosewood followed, perhaps, by black. I've seen other colors, too, of course. Most came with 1 knee lever although many had additional ones installed either at the factory or, very often, by owners.

Forgive me for saying it again, but I still maintain that, when it comes to push-pull tone, Emmons' student models very often leave their big brother models wanting.

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 14 Aug 2014 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 4:30 am    

My guess on the age would be mid 70's to early 80's.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 8:37 am    

A white GS-10 3x4 sold on Ebay about two years ago. Seller was in the Boston area.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 10:46 am    

If it already has 3 knee levers, you're probably set to go. Just clean it up with a good shot of compressed air, wipe down the topside with a soft rag dampened with warm water and a drop or two of mild soap (such as Dawn), put a drop of light oil on the roller nuts, install a new set of strings, tune it up, and you may be surprised. These little GS-10s are often tone monsters.

The book and DVD set by Clem Schmitz is indispensable if you have no experience with a push/pull. It's available direct from Clem on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-METHODOLOGY-P-P-Book-DVDs-Package-/280598597396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4154facf14

An e-mail to the Emmons Guitar Company with your serial number will likely get you a reply as to the age of your instrument.

Enjoy your GS-10!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 6:37 pm    

My first steel was an Emmons GS-10 that was built in 1974
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John Gorlewski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 7:00 am    

Thanks for all the info, folks.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 9:15 am     Origin Information

John,

I contacted the Emmons factory for you, to request the history of your guitar. I just spoke with Bobbie and was told your guitar was shipped on March of 1979 to Clem Schmitz at the store he once had. It originally only had one knee lever, as most of those did.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

John Gorlewski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 11:45 am    

Lynn,

Thanks for the update. That makes perfect sense, though, as the steel was "rescued" from an antique store by a good friend of mine who happened to be travelling through Albert Lea, MN, a few weeks ago.

As I mentioned earlier, it now has 3 knee levers. One pair on the left that raise and lower the E strings, and one lever on the right side of the right knee, that drops the G# a half step and then a whole step. Since I am coming into the whole knee lever part of steel playing pretty much blind (my 2 other steels have just 1 knee lever total between them, and I have never used it), will 3 still be able to get the job done, as far as they go? I have decided to start using them, as I know it will only improve my playing, but it seems like there are a lot of folks out there with 4 knee levers on this particular model of steel. What would I be missing by only having 3? It seems to have the holes in the body for the 4th pedal, but none of the other parts for another, as far as I can tell.

John

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 2:20 pm     Levers

You're most welcome, John.

You're really not missing too much with the three levers that you have. I noticed that it looks like the RKR also lowers the 2nd string, probably with a feel-stop at D. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems from looking at one of your photos that it's actually dropping the 7th string, rather than the 6th G#. Usually that lever starts to drop the 9th string to C# while the 2nd string is at the D note and then continues on to C#.

Here are a few photos of my '75 GS-10 (#541 GS) that's equipped with four newly installed levers that I just purchased from Emmons Guitar.

The RKL on mine lowers the 6th a whole tone and raises the 1st a half tone, which is fairly standard for that lever with a typical Emmons setup.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 3:16 pm    

If it were MY guitar, I'd probably want to be adding two knees to it, and maybe even a pedal.
BUT: You're not me. You're just learning to wring music from these things.
I have REPEATEDLY said, and firmly believe, that nobody should add a change until they understand what they're going to do with it and how they'll use it.
In other words, don't add it because a teacher tells you that you need it. Don't add a lever because someone on the forum (or at a steel guitar jam) says "man! You're missing out not having this change!"
Add it when you understand what you're missing and how you'd use it once you have it.
I also find that it's the intermediate players that need changes the most. If you were to take a 3&1 to some guy who's been playing for 30 years, s/he would probably be able to play impressive stuff all four sets of a bar gig with it. I know damn well that someone cleverer than I could do what I can do with the 5&5 of my E9th neck with only 3&3 or 3&4. But I know how to make my guitar play everything I can think of.
Long Story Short: this guitar will, in its present state, give you LOTS of music for quite awhile, don't be in a hurry to add stuff to it. Add it when you know what you'd want to do with the changes you'd want to add to it.

John Gorlewski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 3:49 pm    

Lane,

Thanks for the sound advice. I think that is exactly what I will do. Just cleaning it up, restringing it, re-tuning it (probably for the first time in 20 years, from the looks of it), will be Phase I. Phase II will just be familiarizing my self with the 3 levers that I do have. I just wanted to be sure I was not missing the most important one, and it seems I am not.

And the RKR seems to ONLY drop the 2nd string (D#) and no others, but exactly as Lynn said, with a mid-point 1/2 step stop, but proceeding on to a full step drop. Even if that is weird, I am going to leave it exactly that way, until I am comfortable enough to consider making any changes.

John

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2014 7:20 am    

Your GS-10 setup is likely all you will ever need. That's exactly how mine is set up, and it plays quite nicely. I plan to have Clem install a RKL to the specs Lynn describes above, because that's how he set up the old D-10 I've been playing since '77.

I'd hesitate to install a vertical lever on a GS-10; the instrument itself is so lightweight that activating a vertical would likely lift it clear off the floor.