The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Emmons setting, on Newmans Ram card
Joe Blount

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 10:55 am    

I had peavey download the newman card setting on my profex 2, and was wandering if Emmons setting is on it, and what bank it would be in

Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 12:05 pm    

I think the Emmons setting is in Emmons hands Very Happy

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 9:40 am    

Joe, all the cards I have had have a setting "66 Emmons" which was the one I used most. I had used it multiple times on my Profex II with different mix settings so I could dial a setting with more or less delay. I think it was around #25 but I don't presently have a Profex II to verify that.
Jerry

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 12:46 pm    

My Profex has 65 Emmons at U90.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Joe Blount

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 1:47 pm    

they must be on different banks, I contacted Mike Brown at peavey, and he said his was on A#14

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 2:29 pm    

The Newman Profex II listing is on my web site.

www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 9:35 pm    

The one I am speaking of is on the U (user) bank.
Jerry

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 10:17 pm    

I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure the 66 Emmons setting was Jeff Newman's interpretation of what a 66 Emmons might sound like. Also, I seem to remember reading here or the Ask Buddy Forum. Anyway, Buddy wrote something like he sat down to a rig that included a Profex II. He tinkered with it to dial in a sound. When he got up. The next person to sit down to the rig, Named the setting Emmons or Buddy Emmons. Maybe someone with a better memory will chime in and set the record straight..

The point to my ramble is I don't think Emmons ever endorsed any of the Profex II settings.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 2:38 am    

In the Profex II list on my web site, #14 is listed as "Buddy". That list was generated from a RAM card I bought from Carter Guitar Co that was loaded with the Newman programs.

Personally, I never thought any of the programs sounded like anyone in particular. Just as you can have the exact same model guitar and amp setup exactly like your favorite player but you will not sound like that person.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 8:59 am    

Pretty difficult with a processor like the ProFex series, or pretty much anything else, to build a preset that will sound like any person, or any guitar, for the simple reason that the preset was assembled while playing a particular guitar through a certain set of cords and a particular volume pedal into a particular amplifier, preamp and cabinet setup or mixing board. If you were to reassemble that entire chain of hardware, and then perhaps play with the original hands that played through that rig, then you might just get close to the original sound of the preset.

This is why the ProFex II, Roland GP 100, Genesis 3, Line 6 POD, and so on are so well suited for people who like to tinker and adjust- to get their own sounds.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 9:59 am    

It is true of course that using an "Emmons" setting does not make a player sound like Buddy. No more than using a certain players amp settings can make you or me sound like that player. I think most of the settings on the Profex card were done by someone other than the player that the setting is named after but they did try to use the amount of effect that that player normally used or uses. They had to name the settings something so you could find something you like and remember it. The original poster asked it the Emmons setting was on the Profex card and it was originally. By now there is no telling that settings you might find on any card as they have evolved much thru the years and even if you get a card with "Emmons" setting there is a chance that it has been changed from the original parameters. I know I have made many changes on the ones in my card. (I presently have a card but no Profex II unit).
Jerry