The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 neck aug chords
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 8:18 am    

I can't seem to find augmented chords on C6 neck. I know aug are a stack of 3 major 3rd intervals, and repeat every 4 frets, but can't seem to find a stack of them on adjacent strings. BTW my steels' pedals are standard and have RKR raising string 3 a 1/2 step and RKL lowering string 3 a whole step. I also tune top string to G, but really i'm looking for that nice fat aug on the wound strings
Thanks for the help, Larry

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 8:45 am    

Pedal 6 lower 6th string E to Eb, knee lower 3rd string C to B gives you a Eb aug with 6th string Eb, 5th string G and 3rd string B. If you really want adjacent strings, pedal 4 raise A string to B gives you the same chord on strings 6,5 and 4 but you have to hit two non-adjacent pedals which means using both feet.

If your first string is a G, some copedants raise it to G# with pedal 5 which gives you a C aug on the top 3 strings with one pedal.

There may be more depending on your copedant and how convoluted you want to get. E.g. if you half pedal the pedal 4 raise and use pedal 5 to get D's and F#'s you'd have some other combinations which might be useful. You can go from Am on strings 5,4,3 to D aug using pedal 5 and half pedaling pedal 4 which is a nice ii-V aug move but good luck getting it in tune.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 8:48 am    

I'd use P8 to raise the 5 of an F chord, and just let your bandmates cover the root.
OR: use P4 and P6 (so you're double footing, it happens) to play B on string 8, D# on string 6 and G (or, technically, F##) on 5.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 10:16 am     In addition to p.6 and the lever...

... pedals 6 and 7 together on s.4-5-6. I use it considerably more than p.6 and C-B lever, due to the ability to release p.7 after the chord is voiced. It depends on what I want to do melodically.

Also, p.6 with a C-C# lever is an augmented.

Also p.5 with an A-A# lever.

Also straight chord with an A-G# (on s.4) lever on strings 2-3-4-6-7.

I can't think of any others at the moment with the standard pedal changes, but those 5 are the ones I use the most.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 10:36 am     Re: In addition to p.6 and the lever...

Herb Steiner wrote:
... pedals 6 and 7 together on s.4-5-6.

D'oh. I can't believe I forgot that one. You're right, it's useful and easy to hit.

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 12:07 pm    

Gee Guys, lots of possibilities! Thanks for the help
Larry