The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnum SD10***A Month & a Half Later
Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2014 5:36 pm    

Doggone,I'm really glad that I got this Magnum.I'm gettin more & more used to it...it's a pretty responsive guitar & I'm really liking the tone with the George L pickup.I'm pretty much a single-coil nut but I really do like the tone.nice playing guitar.the first time I played it was thru a Nashville 112 & it sounded great.hopefully after the first of the year,I'll get another one but even thru a blue stripe Peavey Bandit the tone is still pretty impressive...I'd like to get another Emmons when I can,but I'd sure miss this one...hopefully I'll find a way to have two steels.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 11:26 am    

Hey Bob,

Would love to see your Magnum.

"Without pictures, it didn't happen." Laughing

Dan Robinson

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 1:13 pm     pics of magnum

Will post pics when I get back home.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 11:51 pm    

I might add,I still really haven't found much of anything to complain about so far as this guitar.I do feel just a little "crowded" @ times...just feels like string spacing is a bit closer than what I had been playing,but I'm getting used to it.I thought I'd play it til next spring,when I can hopefully,God willing,get another Emmons,then sell it,but now,i'm starting to think I'd miss it too much,so I may hold on to it & wait til I can save the difference of what I'd get from selling.It is a nice guitar.i still may try a Truetone in it when I'm able.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 10:13 am    

That color looks great. Beautiful guitar. I didn't know it had 5 knees. Very nice.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2014 2:02 pm     Magnum

Thanks Dan....yeah,I do like that blue.and as for the gray powder coating,I'm gettin used to it.it's not elegant,but when I used to work in the motorcycle business back in the early to mid 70s,and as an avid cyclist back then,I became aware of the saying-"chrome don't get ya home"...that sorta seems to hold true with this guitar.it's surprising,great performance.kind of a hot rod in sheep's clothing.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 9:05 am    

Bob, glad you like your Magnum too. I've played nothing but my Magnum since I got it couple months ago. It is light and sounds good enough to play anywhere I think. I didn't like the single coils that were in it but the 10-1's sound great. It's not and Emmons p/p but plenty good enough for any gig. The prestige of playing a high dollar chromed guitar doesn't effect me anymore.
Very Happy

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2014 3:34 pm     Thanks

Thanks Henry,good to hear.I'd still like to have another Emmons,Mullen or maybe try a Rittenberry,but the Magnum,i think has found a permanent home here also.if I'm meant to have another Emmons or one of the others I mentioned,it'll happen !!! I've had some nice steels & this one is just as special in its own ways.Hopin to get it out to do some honky-tonkin' soon.been a little under the weather for a while now but,God willin',my nephew & our bass player are goin to start back up pickin next week.

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 4:32 am     Magnum

John Fabian did a superb job on this bargain priced guitar. They stay in tune, sound great, play very smooth and aren't a, "lead sled", besides the cost factor and the ease of adjustment and set up changes. John lives on in his guitars.

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2014 5:43 am     Magnum

Thanks Bruce for your comments.I'm liking mine more every day.I'll be glad when I can pick up another Nashville 112 to run it through.i sold my 112 to the gentleman I got the guitar from & played it through that amp before he left with it.he said it sounded so pretty it made him have second thoughts about selling the Magnum! I sure wouldn't mind havin a D-10 model one day but I really love SDs.Henry sure got a good deal,that's a nice looking D-10 he got!