The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Whats the worst steel you have ever played ?
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 7:16 pm    

An Emmons student model...dreadful pick up and rod clatter through the system amongst other things.... What can I say it with the student model.( but you did ask)...and that all pull mojo wasent there, and it....wasent me!! Very Happy

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 7:56 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
An Emmons student model...dreadful pick up and rod clatter through the system amongst other things.... What can I say it with the student model.( but you did ask)...and that all pull mojo wasent there, and it....wasent me!! Very Happy

Yup, I hesitated to state this, but, it's true. It wasn't mine, but, a student I was trying to teach. It was a horrible steal. It wobbled, sounded bad, wouldn't stay in tune, clanky and just a POS. I diplomatically told him to try and get another steal because he'd never be able to play this one proficiently. As it turned out, he had rented it from a local music store and was able to take it back. Unfortunately they didn't have any other ones. He finally bought a used GFI and his teaching sessions went a lot better. Not all Emmons are keepers as with other steels.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2014 8:40 pm    

A GFI that was for sale at Guitar Center. Pre-Ultra. Man was it messed up! I bought it for a song, fixed it up,,, but I must say,,, I still wasn't impressed by it. It was okay. It had the early Barcus-Berry pickups that were very poorly designed. Things in the pups were chemically incompatible. The C6th pup read 60K! I'm just not enamored with the sound of GFI guitars. They play okay. But it's seems to me like Gene, whom I have tremendous respect for, designed a guitar that was really easy to assemble quickly. Sorry! They just don't pull my string!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2014 8:07 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
In fact the Electraharp was not designed to use the pedals whilst playing. It was intended to be used to change tunings; the idea being that you kept your foot on one of the pedals for the whole tune.

Alan, that's not a fact, but it is a very commom myth. Gibson was probably the first to advertise and describe the moving changes of a pedal steel guitar in their literature. Yes, and it's a shame that the myth about pedals only used as "tuning changers" was perpetrated for years by players who didn't know any better, or who didn't feel the need to experiment with a newer way of playing.