The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zane Beck D10 Craigslist-- thoughts?
Paul Hutzler

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 8:49 pm    

I was looking at this ZB D10. Looks like it could be a nice one. if it turns out to be in good condition, do you think its priced fairly?

http://lexington.craigslist.org/msg/4569977249.html

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 9:31 pm    

That could be a great deal, depending on the condition of the front of the guitar, which is not shown for some reason, and the functioning of the pedals and levers. $1000 for a D-10 ZB is dirt cheap. Just be prepared for the weight of the guitar.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2014 10:23 pm    

Wow. That is the first ZB I have ever seen where the neck was white, not just the fretboard.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 12:38 pm    

That guitar is one of the earliest ZB's made 65-66. Not a $2500 guitar in that condition.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 1:54 pm    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
That guitar is one of the earliest ZB's made 65-66. Not a $2500 guitar in that condition.

Nope, not a $2500 guitar. But for a grand it might be a good deal.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 2:51 pm    

I saw and played what had to be one of the absolute earliest ZB guitars ever!

In 1971, when I lived in Los Angeles, I went into a music store on Lankershim Blvd. in North Hollywood and saw a D-10 CZB-logo guitar, all black. I looked at the guts and it was basically a welded permanent, similar to a Sho-Bud and with a black painted undercarriage. The guitar wasn't in great shape, and since I was the owner of a shiny new SB Professional, I thought it was an obsolete POS and left it at that.

Years later... I never knew Zane, and for some reason never asked Brumley about it. I mentioned the guitar to Greg Jones and he allowed as how he'd heard of a few very early ZB permanent-types but had never seen one. There must have been very few, inded.

Sorry for the hi-jack, back on topic.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 9:21 pm    

Not a bad price at all for that one. I would say 66' to 68'. The earlier ones had a carved neck and the edges on this one aren't. If you can get the serial number to me, I can date the guitar and give the original owner. I have seen 2 other guitars with white necks and fretboards. If I had the cash........

Greg

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 12:13 pm    

Prepare to spend considerable time or money regardless. I just got the second-most unmolested doubleneck of my ignominious ZB career for a great price (in this one's ballpark). I would sooner swim with piranhas than try to work on the underside of a ZB myself, so I had Jim Palenscar ("Here, Jim, you swim with the piranhas...") move the three KLs around and add a fourth (parts included with the guitar.)

Somewhat eerily, the fixup cost was within pennies of being half the purchase price, but that was only because, as Jim told me, "I stopped charging you for labor four hours ago."

The initials ZB stand for "There's no such thing as a free lunch, jocko."

Difficult girlfriends, finicky European sports cars and ZB steels--we love 'em in spite.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 9:56 pm    

As long as you don't have to move the knee levers, they're really not THAT hard to work on. Just a bit tedious to balance the pulls.
That's really pretty, from the pics. I encourage you to go check it out in person.

Tom Geldner

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 7:37 am     Here's a ZB in So Calif.

$1500 on this one. But the guy won't answer my emails -- not that I really want a ZB because I don't lol.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/4584363173.html

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 8:36 am    

Jerry Fessenden used to build guitars for ZB when Brumley lived in TX and had the company here. He's a little mentioned resource for ZB assembly information.

Just sayin', if he's close to any ZB owners. He's living in either Vermont or Indiana, depending.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?