The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Teach" without Steel? Shame!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 12:49 pm    

Old men trying to cling to the past when it's already over. They can't sing anymore. Give it up and let it go. Just embarrasingly painful to watch. Not only were they all off key, Stills guitar and one other were out of tune with the guys. Like looking at three drunks trying to sing Teach Your Children.. Ughhhh!

Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 12:11 pm    

Just some general comments and feedback as to what's been posted:

I was a big fan of CS&N back in in the day. When theIr first album came out, I thought it was a masterpiece and still do. I always preferred Young on his own than with CS&N.

As far as Garcia & TYC goes, I agree that his sound, feel and what he choose to play or what he was only capable of playing, helped to make that song a musical icon for decades.

Imo, Buddy Emmons did the same thing for Judy Collins' "Someday Soon".

Regarding Stills' lead guitar playing, he seems to have truly lost his way when playing lead guitar "live". But the man had a tremendous impact on the music I luvd'd back in the day. And I still appreciate him for that.

Then again, CS&N are still touring at the ages of 72, 69 & 72. I have a hard time just getting out of bed some mornings!

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 7:30 am    

Loved it!

It would have been nice if they'd had a steel...for whatever reason,they didn't.

re Stills' playing:they were through here a couple of years ago and he played his @$$ off...every day is different,no?

They are seventy years old and still out there doing it...

God bless 'em.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 2:44 pm    

b0b wrote:
chris ivey wrote:
i thought the guitar covered it ok. after all, the steel parts aren't that earth shattering anyway.

I disagree. They had a larger impact in the music world than most Nashville steel parts of the time. "Teach" legitimized pedal steel in the eyes of rock musicians. It was "earth shattering".

Bob, I'd have to disagree, and give most of the "props" for introducing steel to rock music to Sneaky Pete and the FBB. Pete was a far better player, he was their main lead instrument, and their outing (with "Hot Burrito #1") was also first...by almost a year! Now maybe it was a left coast vs. right coast thing, but from where I was traveling (Balto/Wash. D.C. circuits) there's really no denying that Pete's work was better, more significant, and a helluva lot longer lasting.

In then end, all of this is just opinions, and that's why I have to push back a little and give another point of view when you start handing out the "crown". Cool

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 5:26 pm    

I agree with Bob, that was bad.

Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 5:31 pm    

I have to disagree with you Donny. TYC exposed the masses to pedal steel guitar way more than anything Sneaky and FBB did.

Did any album or song that the FBB released ever come close to sales and radio play time that TYC and Deja Vu had?

I even heard TYC played at church services back in the day. But I never heard "She's A Devil In Disguise" played there Winking

So I have to agree with b0b.

p.s. I'm also a big Sneaky Pete fan.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 8:15 pm    

Yep,"TYC"was a smash...I never heard anything by Sneeky and FBB on the radio,ever.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2014 5:55 am    

Steve, yes...TYC was a smash, as was anything CSN did in that period. It was made even more special by the "feel good morality" aspect of the song (not unlike Lennon's "Imagine", which I've heard often enough lately to last me 10 lifetimes). But, my point is that it seems like TYC gets way too much face-time here on the Forum...it's sorta like "Mansion On The Hill" at a steel guitar show. Laughing I guess I was just listening to other stuff back in those days, and not in line with the masses as they worshipped Jerry and the TYC altar. Pete did a side with the Ventures back in the mid '60s, "Blue Star" that caught my ear, and it wasn't until a fellow musician gave me a FBB album that I made the connection..."that's Pete!"

To be sure, the FBB never really had a hit record. But despite his absence on a #1 record, Pete's discography is very impressive. But back then, there was a lot of cool steel in the rock genre, just too much (IMHO) to give 95% of the accolades and attention to one player and one song. Geeze, another player we seldom mention on the forum is B.J. Cole!? (You know, that guy who recorded with everyone from Elton John to Sting, and from The Moody Blues to Depeche Mode!) To me, BJ's playing on Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down The Line" was pretty amazing.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2014 7:51 am    

For me as a Byrds follower it meant finding albums by Flying Burritos, CS&N, and not to forget Dillard and Clark. Well the Crosbys won the race.