The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WOW!!! What a SUPER EVENT in Branson!!
Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 7:10 am    

I'm sure if Terry Bethel was writing this, or Charlie and Rosemary Steichen were writing, I know they would give you a great big THANK YOU for attending the 2014 Steel Guitar Show here in Branson. Venda and I agree whole heartedly and want to say a great big thank you, also, for all words of endearment and response that you gave to each of the performers. Everyone that performed on the stage, (of course excluding this writer) gave a very enjoyable ingredient of pleasure to all the listeners. That means fellow pickers and audience participants. It's hard to say who was the most enjoyable picker, so we won't even try. Everyone in their level of expertise did their best. I heard it over and over and over again from the pickers especially, how great the band performed. It just couldn't have been better!! Although a special thanks go out to Billy Dean, Leona Williams and Ron, and Gene Mulvaney and the Grand Band, for being so kind as to lend their time and efforts to the success of the show. And we certainly appreciate Wayne Massengale and the auspices of Grand County for the TV advertising of our show! Thank you to each vendor that came. Your presence and commodities certainly created a positive nuance to the venue. Terry sure chose a great helper at his table. Thank you, Martha. My, what a sweet personality she had in welcoming everyone that came to that table. I hate to mention any more names, but, Terry Bethel needs a great big hug for getting the best of talent! Boy, he sure knows his onions! And a great big kudos to Charlie for his emcee work and keeping the trains running on time. I know it's hard to keep things going right with so many people involved, but Charlie and Terry did a great job. All the singers added so much to the programs. We sure have a lot of talent among our association! Having the privilege of meeting in this lovely venue, the Stone Castel Hotel, was indeed a highlight of the whole weekend. All their employees and staff were so kind and courteous. I know it's a Steel Guitar Production but to me it feels like a Steel Guitar Family Reunion! A special touch to the over-all proceeding was made by Pat and John Zazuliak with the creation of the Super Event Book that added to the kit and koboodle of the whole process. Thank you Bill and Rosemary for capturing on film all the special moments!! I'm sure it will surely engender a lot of special memories! The words of Earnest Tubb, "THANKS A LOT"!!!!!

Beverly Harris

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 7:32 am    

That was such a great weekend. Learning, sharing, laughing, listening… Wow, Terry pretty much covered it all.
I loved the fact that Charlie always had on a smile.
Steve Palousek gave us some expertise stuff to learn during the seminar. Maybe by NEXT year, I'll get it down. Thank you, Steve.
Thanks to Steve Melchi for letting me crash the jam session. Even though I didn't know very many of the songs, I enjoyed getting to play along. One of these days...
The bands were awesome.
GREAT time.
This was the first time that I ever went to Branson and didn't have time to go to ONE store! Smile
Beverly

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 9:24 am    

Jerry, you are so right! I can't imagine a better day with more talent than anyone could imagine. What a diversified field of players and personalities. There was lots of comedy and plenty of emotion coming out of those steels. I am so glad I was able to make this special event this year. Even the back up band alone was the best I've heard and they played the best arrangements of old classics each time they switched players on stage. Charlie Steichen and Mike Squires had that equipment moving so fast and furious between sets that it was like watching a fine oiled machine. You guys outdid yourselves this year for sure. Sometimes life throws those magical experiences at you and this was one of them.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 10:47 am    

We had a great time. Carlene commented that the show was done in a very professional manner and I agree. Everything went so smoothly. The guys got all our gear on and off the stage and we thank them for that. Good number in attendance. We really liked the venue. Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments on Braydon. Also a very special thanks to a very special guy, Joe Wright who sat down with Braydon and gave him so much instruction. Joe is such a great player and as good a teacher as I know. Joe, thank you for taking a special interest in Braydon. I had shown him a video of you on You Tube Friday night and he was so excited to meet you and to receive the help from you. We also had a terrific back up band. Thanks Terry, Charlie and all the club, all the band and thanks to Newberry and Austin for use of the amps. My little HHR didn't have room for two amps but I knew we could count on Jerry and Austin. Smile
Jerry

Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 12:44 pm    

I had a great time playing this show. Everything was cooking! All of the steel guitarists were outstanding. And I would also like to thank Terry, Charlie, Jerry and Venda for all of the hard work.
The back up band was outstanding! Wayne Massengale, Dino Strunk, Jimmy Hyde, Russ Weaver and Roy Rosetta.
You can't get any better than that. This was the first time I had played with Jimmy Hyde and he is an awesome drummer. Super, Super Show!!

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 1:51 pm    

Your welcome Roller.

Yes I think this was the best Branson Show in MANY years. Thanks to everyone that made it that way. We got home this morning. We had a GREAT time. See everyone next year I hope.

Donna, Jerry, Dalton & Austin

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2014 5:10 pm    

This was a SUPER Steel Show! Simply put it was one of the best that I have ever attended.

Terry, Charlie, Jerry and Venda, Leona and Ron Williams and all the super players and all it was just great!

The backup band (THE BAND) was one of the best I have ever played with too.

It was such a thrill for me to get to hear everyone and I want to say to Joe and Connie Wright you were just awesome on Sunday afternoon. Your music touched me very deeply. I haven't been moved by a song like the one you two sang and played "Look For Me." Beautiful you two! I want you two to please come and play one of my steel shows in the near future.

Thanks Terry and Crew for letting me be a part of this awesome event.

GOD bless each of you!

Terry Wood
Marshfield/Conway Steel Guitar Shows

Rose Sinclair

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 9:20 am    

Well said, Jeremiah and everyone else here! Thanks to Terry and Charlie and everyone for all their efforts in putting together a great and well-run show, and hats off to the hard-working house band -- what a treat to hear all that talent on one bandstand.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 12:12 pm    

Rick Nicklas I saw you sitting on the front row at 9:00AM Saturday morning when I started playing. You really must be "HARD CORE" to get up that early to hear me play! Someone told me they saw you gasping for air as I was playing "Crazy Arms". Also someone said the hot licks I played set the cuffs on your britches on fire once. Very Happy

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 12:57 pm    

Keith, I would have even got up much earlier to hear the fantastic tone on that Emmons. Where was your Amish attire? Did you sell it to Joe Wright?

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 2:08 pm    

Rick, I thought everyone had forgot about the Amish hat, black judge's robe, and dark sunglasses. Terry Bethel has tried to get me to wear that outfit and come on stage when Joe Wright is playing. It is spooky looking and wierd. That is the first outing with that pecan colored Emmons. I had plans of playing my black 1971 push pull Emmons. On Friday night I changed a string and it required retuning the pedals and knee levers. So I did not want to chance getting the pedals and knee levers back in tune. I made the decision Friday night to leave the black push pull home and take the pecan colored Emmons on it's first trip to the recital hall. Rick, that pecan colored Emmons has those Pin Tad pickups with a 5 way switch, and I really like those pickups. I was having a "good old time" playing, especially on the song by Mel Tillis--"Brand New Mr. Me." A song any divorcee can relate to. "Do my children call you Daddy, is my honey good to you". Now that is something you can sink your teeth into, and get down on the E9th neck.

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2014 6:34 pm    

This was a great show, for sure. I just moved to Springfield in April, and the dust had hardly settled 'till Terry Bethel called me and invited me to play the Super Show. Thanks Terry. That was a great way to welcome this ole Texas boy to Missouri. I had a great time. All the players were great and the backup band was fantastic. Sorry I missed the Sunday segment. My grandson came in from Fayetteville, AR and we hadn't seen him in a while, so we stayed at home and visited with him.

Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2014 4:02 am    

Bob, we're really happy to have you as 'one of us' now! Your playing was really great, precise, and really enjoyable to listen to. Maybe it's my age or something, but I still like to hear pretty music from the steel guitar and you sure made that come true! Welcome!!!