The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Pedal Sho-Bro & "Amazing Grace"
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 9:24 am    

Here is something that really showcases in my opinion what this instrument from Jackson Steel Guitar can do. Check out how the true dobro tones are all right there but yet you have the flip of a floor pedal that gives you a whole new world! There's so much music in this thing!!!!

Keep in mind folks this is done from any standard dobro/resonator guitar. Square necks of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXCyf57miQ&feature=youtu.be

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 9:40 am    

That's great Zane! Beautiful job on Amazing Grace.

My take on this thing is that as you wrote in the other thread, it can be another tool in your box.

I could see devoting a more budget-oriented instrument to being set up with the device, like one of the newish squareneck Gretsch dobros, or maybe go up the scale to the next level, something like a Goldtone/Beard.

It would never happen with my Clinesmith resonator because that's "my main squeeze."

There have been variations on this theme in the past but they have left something to be desired, and it looks like with this Jackson unit somebody may have finally gotten it right!

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:04 am    

I understand that Mark. However, there is no harm done to the dobro. It really is amazing how this works. All of the info on these units are coming. It is truly remarkable and I agree someone finally go this right!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:11 am     Re: The Pedal Sho-Bro &

Zane King wrote:
...Keep in mind folks this is done from any standard dobro/resonator guitar. Square necks of course...

Another great recording, but I don't understand the above comment. It's not done with "just any standard dobro/resonator guitar": it must have pedals. Oh Well Confused

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 10:19 am    

Thanks Alan! Yes I need to state that better. What I mean is that we start with any standard dobro just like you would buy from a store. As a matter of fact this dobro here is a foreign job that is very inexpensive. Of course it is just the prototype. The point is this after market device called The Pedal Sho-Bro then hooks to the dobro. Believe it or not it does not damage the instrument. Does that make sense?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 11:05 am    

Yes, it makes a lot of sense. As a luthier I've been thinking along those lines for some time. The strings on any resonator guitar are attached to a tailpiece. If you could remove that tailpiece and attach the strings directly to an add-on pedal unit it would be perfect. I've thought in terms of cables within tubes. I shall be intrigued to find out your solution.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 12:00 pm    

Zane, I kind've figured it didn't damage the instrument and I think it's going to be great.

And there's no reason not to use a really good dobro if one has the inclination along with the resources, but I mentioned not using it with my Clinesmith for sort of the same reason that I wouldn't take a thoroughbred horse and hook him up to a plow.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 12:08 pm    

Mark - great analogy and right on. I also own a very nice high end dobro that I plan to very much leave it as is. Once a dobro has been outfitted with the Pedal Sho-Bro it does take some work to undo it. It's like you can really just bounce between having it on and then not. So yep, we are on the same page here. I do say all that to say though I am really anxious to put this on a nice dobro. I think the Goldtone/Beards likely will be a great starting point for folks. There are others as well of course. Very fun stuff indeed. Especially for us steel guitarist who basically have dobros just because we are "supposed" to. Know what I mean. This way we can truly have our "home" right there on the dobro. Sure makes sense to me anyway. Very Happy Very Happy

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 3:09 pm    

I'm thinking you may get the hang of that thing if you keep messing with it..........

What brand of guitar is that you are playing? Do I understand that you would add the mechanism to your own guitar, or probably be able to also order one complete?

It is a very good sound, congratulations to all involved.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 3:57 pm    

Doug - yes both ways. You can send your dobro and have it outfitted with this or just purchase the dobro and Pedal Sho-Bro unit. Jackson is outlining all of that very soon. I'm sure if folks call them now they will certainly work hard to get you what you want.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 6:46 pm    

That is super cool. Will it fit a dobro that is not 6 string such as an 8 string dobro or is this made only for the 6 string dobro

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2014 3:01 pm    

Daniel, you would need to custom order for 8. It can be done.