The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson pro IV
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 1:40 pm    

I'm interested in the Jackson Pro IV in the for sale section. Has anyone owned or played one like it, with no wood apron on the rear of the cabinet ? It's very different, in that regard. It seems many of the Jackson's often have a different feature or two within a single model. Anybody played one , or have any idea about the concept ?
Thanks!!

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 5:21 am    

I have not seen this guitar in person but I can vouch for Jackson guitars. I have a blackjack/pro IV custom and it plays and sounds great. It is my main gigging guitar. That white one is so beautiful. If I was in the market for a double neck I would buy it without hesitation. a quick call to the Jacksons could explain what the reasoning behind the rear apron was. I bet it was for weight tho.... What do you play now ?

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 6:02 am    

I also play a Jackson Blackjack Custom and it's a wonderful guitar-my best steel. The Jacksons really know how to build great steels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 7:08 am    

For what it's worth re: concerns about the back apron, the older MSA's, at least the Classic model has an aluminum rear apron, and I've never had an issue, plus next to no cabinet drop.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 11:14 am     White Pro IV

This pro IV looks to have the Black Jack changer and recessed key head, in addition to the aluminum rear apron. I'm guessing that's what makes it a "Hybrid" .

It looks sharp, but it does make it a bit more challenging to compare to the pro IV. I've called the Jackson's, but haven't heard from them. I bet it sounds great, maybe someone with this setup or similar will respond ?

Karen, I play a Zum Hybrid, a MSA Millenium,and a Fulawka.

Brett, I'm guessing with the blackjack changer and key head, it may sound like a blackjack in some way? Just a guess.

Ian, good to know about the rear apron, I guess the old cable pull fenders had a metal frame, no flex there.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 1:19 pm    

wow...if you had a franklin you'd have the four most expensive steels around. and maybe an anapeg, too.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 2:58 pm     Expensive steels

Chris,
They sound really cheap when I play em.....

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 3:14 pm     Re: Expensive steels

Steve Spitz wrote:
Chris,
They sound really cheap when I play em.....

But there's no excuses to not practice when the best of the best are staring you down in the music room!

Ian Stynes

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2014 7:53 am    

Steve - It looks to me like that changer is not actually the Blackjack type. Below is a picture of a Blackjack changer. It could also be a hybrid in the sense that the changer looks a like a mix between different designs of different Jackson guitars. I bet it sounds great though - Ian

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 5:23 pm     Pro IV changer

Ian,
It does look a bit different from the pro IV changer to me. I may be beating a dead horse here, but when I look at the Jackson site, I see a Pro IV changer as :
1. Having what looks like splits on the end plate
2. The top of the changer is a "bolt on" , on the white one it isn't.
3. The piece on top which houses the axle is symmetrical, and trapezoidal in shape on the white guitar. On the Jackson website, on the pro IV it is not.

May be a case where there are some variations from unit to unit of a single model like Ian suggests. Am I losing it, or do any of the Jackson owners see this ?

Maybe it appears different on top, but the business end is (undercarriage) is pro IV type ?

And what about the splits ? Do I see them on the site for the ProIV, but not on the white one ?

Thanks again to all that contribute !

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 7:30 am    

fwiw my pro IV changer does not have splits..

Ian Stynes

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 6:29 pm    

And fwiw my Blackjack actually does have split tuning.

But I know what you mean about that changer from the guitar in question. It almost looks more like a Shobud changer than a Pro IV. Maybe it was modified for that guitar since the necks are the lower blackjack type. If it is a unique design than it would make that guitar that much more special.

-Ian

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 5:14 pm     Changer

Thanks Karen and Ian. It seems like multiple changers, or at least differences in changers from one pro IV to another . I suspect they all work and sound great, but adds a bit of a an unknown. It's more of a challenge to make an informed decision if you're in the market for one .
The Jackson's are definitely innovative . Check out their new website. Their doing new and different things other builders aren't doing.

Ian Stynes

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 6:35 pm    

I agree - the new Jackson line of stand up pedal steel guitars is awesome.

And I bet if you asked the original poster of that add for more detailed photos of the changer (especially underneath) he would post or send them. That might clear things up a little.

-Ian