The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Miller Custom Info and Help
Zachari Smith

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 1:01 pm    

Hi, New to the forum. I just picked up this Miller Custom wondering if anyone has any info - possible year it was made?

I've got the E9 neck tuned up and sounding good but I've never played on a C6 and it seems that the pedals are tuned in an unusual way (from what I've read about the standard C6 set up). Any idea how it may be set up based on the year or brand?

Any Info would be appreciated,

thanks,

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 1:40 pm    

The ole Miller I still have is a very early '70's model and it appears the same to the one you have . . cabinetry, mechanics and all, except that the keyhead on the one I have is polished, the floor pedals are polished, the tuning gears are enclosed rather than 'open', the changer 'surround' is polished, the endplates are polished and the 'ears' of the endplates (the short extensions that screws go thru) do not extend as far towards the center of the guitar. Also one of your knee levers look to be of the black 'crinkle' finish, and the colors used in the fretboard markers are different than what I have.
The pedal/knee set-up that was on the one I got was a 'Day' (vs. Emmons) E9 and on the C6, pedal 5 (lower the 5th, raise 9 & 10) and pedal 7 (raise 3 & 4) locations were 'swapped' (Roger (Millers) personal set-up).
If the differences were only the tuning keys (open vs. enclosed) and the design of the endplates, I would say yours is older (possibly late '60's or 'turn-of-the '70's) but I've never known Roger to use the 'crinkle-finish' (as opposed to the more labor-intensive buffing & polishing) until later when he had began building a 'student model' guitar and several music stores were carrying his line.
If you'd care to PM me an email address, I can send you pdf's of the two catalogs on Miller steels, or you can do a search on this board and surely find the same.
~Russ

Zachari Smith

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 2:37 pm    

Thanks for the info Russ. Yah, In my looking through the forum I haven't seen any Miller's with the black finish. I'm curious to know when Roger used such a finish.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2014 9:38 am    

Looks to be in good condition. I would estimate it to be late 60's or 70's. These seem to be well built guitars and sound good as well. Mine is a 1965 and very different from some of the features on yours so I would say anywhere from 1967 or 1968 up was when yours was built. I have only seen a few 1970's model Millers so I don't know much about the details on them but either way its a great looking steel.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 6:44 pm    

Hey, Zachari. The appointments on yours look similar to my 8 string (which will be shipped to a fellow forumite in the next few days). I was able to get in touch w/ Bob Simmons & he was able to deduce the year to 1970 based on the serial number. He used to distribute Millers & was very helpful. Welcome to the forum, by the way- I'm new as well and have found it to be a boundless resource with a lot of great people.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Zachari Smith

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 11:47 am    

Thanks Pete!

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 7:04 pm     Miller sales pamphlet

Hear are pictures from a Miller pamphlet. If your interested in owning it $5.00 plus shipping to Canada.

Zachari Smith

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 8:26 am    

Do you know what year that catalogue is from?

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 11:39 am     miller

can't find a date on it anywhere.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 6:27 pm    

I just noticed in the ad pictures that some of those Millers appear to have metal necks. Am I seeing that right?

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 6:31 pm    

Yup. My 1970 S8 had a metal neck.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"