The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Re price on a 1956 fender 6srting lap steel
Chuck Lawson

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 1:26 pm    

Hi Have decided to part ways with my 1956 lap steel. The steel is in almost new condition with just a couple of marks on the body. Every thing on the steel is factory. The chrome is like new. No marks on the chrome at all. I don't have pictures yet, but will try to get some later. What I need is a ball park figure of what to sell it for. Chuck. Very Happy

Last edited by Chuck Lawson on 19 Jul 2014 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 2:54 pm    

fender made a number of 6-string laps of varying value. i'm sure some people will be able to hazard a guess on its value once they know what it is and its condition. but that's not an exact science; ultimately, the value of a steel is what a buyer is willing to pay for it. Smile

EDIT (after pictures were uploaded): I agree with the value estimate below. Seems to be in real good shape, but newer than you thought. The simpler logo and finish are the giveaways. I paid about $600 for a Champ about 10 years older than yours in similar condition, with a case. I've seen retailers try to get upwards of $800 for these... but based on eBay activity, I think 500-600 is fair, toward the lower end if no case.

Last edited by Adam Nero on 20 Jul 2014 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 6:19 am    

You can do searches on this site to see what similar guitars have sold for. You can also search the "sold" listings on ebay, but assuming you want to sell it here then that's less valuable info than you get from searching this site.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 8:00 am    

That there guitar is worth about $500... more if you've got the case. Looks to be in fine shape... it's call a Champ, btw... I've got two of them.

It's not a '56... more like a 1970. Poly finish, (r) decal... probably has a black case, if any. Definitely post-CBS... which doesn't affect its value.

Chuck Lawson

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 8:09 am     RE steel

I did a serial number search and they got back to me and said it was built in 1956 at the Fullerton factory.Chuck.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 9:49 am    

Who did the "serial number search"? I wouldn't trust any guitar dealer to know the first thing about Fender steel guitar serial numbers. I wouldn't even trust the current Fender Co. to know much about the old steel guitar serial numbers. The number on that Champ would have to be compared to the numbers on other Champs to approximate the year of manufacture. Every Fender steel guitar model had it's own sequence of numbers. The serial numbers on Fender's regular electric guitars follow a logical sequence and the year can easily be determined by the number. Not so with the steel guitars. The numbers are fairly random and meaningless.

I agree with Stephen. The logo and the finish look like post-CBS, after 1965. The Case would tell us more, assuming the case is original to the guitar. Tweed cases were 1950s. Brown tolex cases 1960-62, Black tolex 1963 and later. Another way approximate the year is to check the source/date codes on the pots. That will tell you what year the pots were made.

The exact year has no affect on the value. A clean one like this with the original case would sell for about $550 to $600 IMO. If I were selling it I would not list any year if I wasn't sure of the year.

Chuck Lawson

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 10:26 am     RE Steel

You are probably right. I just went to the fender serial number site and entered the serial number. The number is 10706. I don't have a case for it. Chuck.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 10:30 am    

Chuck, it's in beautiful condition, and if I were selling it I would list it as a Fender Champ in excellent, all original condition, no case, and I'd ask about $650 (USD) for it. Just my opinion. And you might want to mention that USA buyers may have to pay a brokerage fee at delivery (from Canada to USA).

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 20 Jul 2014 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Chuck Lawson

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 10:34 am     Re Steel

Thanks Doug. I appreciate you input. Chuck.

Tom Pittman

Asheville, NC USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 6:40 am     Fender lap steel

Private message sent.

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 1:20 pm    

Here's a pic of a brand new Fender Champ that I bought in 1961. It came with a brown tolex case.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 2:12 pm    

Jerry, that's a great picture! I wish I started on steel guitar at that age.

Hubert Rogers

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 4:45 pm     Champ lap steel

Hi! Chuck I sent you a pm.

Hubert Rogers

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 5:29 pm     fender lap steel

Chuck I replied to your E-mail

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 7:53 pm    

Doug ..... I didn't start playing in 1961, I started in 1955. Here's another pic. Whoa! Whoa!
That's me on the right.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2014 10:37 pm     The Fender Lap.

I have the two pick-up model with a Tweed case. It has the date 1956, written in pencil under the key head. It also has the screw in tri-pod chrome legs, it's a real gem, and tone machine. Just went down to the Ft. Worth Guitar Show, on Sun., and even beat to death lap steels were going for at least 300bucks.

Chuck Lawson

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2014 3:25 pm    

Please close.