The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is there any steel guitar at dollywood?
Jeremy Drawbaugh

scottsboro, al usa
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 9:15 am    

Will be at dollywood tomorrow and wondering if there is any steel guitar to be found?
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT

Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 4:33 pm    

Jeremy,

I believe Stoney Stonecipher is gone from Dollywood and no one replaced him.

There is however a couple of players in the theaters in Pigeon Forge. Larry Stewart is still at the Country Tonight theater. http://countrytonitepf.com/meet-our-cast/

The Smith Family theater use to have one too.

JimE

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 6:50 pm    

I think they did away with the traditional country show that Stoney played in.

RC

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2014 7:20 pm    

I think Smith Family Theater still features steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2014 2:34 am    

Dollywood is nothing like the Opryland theme park that was in Nashville. Very disappointing.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2014 10:29 am    

There seems to be mostly bluegrass or mountain music.
The country tonight show is about the only one I know with steel its wonderful

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 5:09 pm    

Bob Cox wrote:
There seems to be mostly bluegrass or mountain music.
The country tonight show is about the only one I know with steel its wonderful

Larry Stewart, the steel player at the Country Tonite Theater used to play steel at a show at Dollywood in 2001 called "Paradise Road".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 1:13 pm    

I'm taking another Cosmos bus tour in September that will be in Gatlinburg for the evening of 12th and all day and night of the 13th. The tour offers two optional "excursions" of "Dollywood" and "Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede Pigeon Forge". I assume that Dollywood is during the day and the Stampede is at night.

I guess there are no steel players, but I'd like to hear opinions of these. Are they worth it, regardless of the music? Any other recommendations for Gatlinburg?

I'll also have a free evening in Bardstown, Kentucky on the 11th, if anyone has any suggestions for there.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 2:27 pm    

Jim Smith wrote:
I'm taking another Cosmos bus tour in September that will be in Gatlinburg for the evening of 12th and all day and night of the 13th. The tour offers two optional "excursions" of "Dollywood" and "Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede Pigeon Forge". I assume that Dollywood is during the day and the Stampede is at night.

I guess there are no steel players, but I'd like to hear opinions of these. Are they worth it, regardless of the music? Any other recommendations for Gatlinburg?

I'll also have a free evening in Bardstown, Kentucky on the 11th, if anyone has any suggestions for there.
Even though there is no steel at Dollywood, I still love Dollywood. Stoney is the man who got me started on steel guitar-I met him at Dollywood in 1998, but I love the music Dollywood p[lays. Inside the Chasing Rainbows Museum at Dollywood, you can see a steel that was played by Don Warden.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 2:45 pm    

Brett Day wrote:
Even though there is no steel at Dollywood, I still love Dollywood. Stoney is the man who got me started on steel guitar-I met him at Dollywood in 1998, but I love the music Dollywood p[lays. Inside the Chasing Rainbows Museum at Dollywood, you can see a steel that was played by Don Warden.

Thanks Brett, it might be worth the visit just to see Don's guitar. Smile

Does anyone else have any recommendations for things to do with my free time in Gatlinburg and Bardstown?

John Thomas

Gainesville, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 7:23 am     Pigeon Forge

Jim,
Check out the pre-show at Dixie Stampede featuring 4-time National Banjo champ Gary (Biscuit) Davis, Herby Wallace's son-in-law. They do about a 30 min show before the meal and the main Stampede show. John Thomas

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 9:13 am     Re: Pigeon Forge

John Thomas wrote:
Jim,
Check out the pre-show at Dixie Stampede featuring 4-time National Banjo champ Gary (Biscuit) Davis, Herby Wallace's son-in-law. They do about a 30 min show before the meal and the main Stampede show. John Thomas

Thanks John, I planned to do the Stampede show anyway, because I like to eat! Razz I guess I can stand some banjo music too. Wink

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 10:38 am     Is there any Steel players at dollywood?

HUM, so you like to eat. My favorite restaurant in all the Smokies is The Best Italian in Elk's Plaza in Gatlinburg. Up and across the St. from TG Fridays. The tram drivers all know where it's at and can let you off at the right spot. It's a place that is hidden and you have to know about it. Best Italian food to ever hit my lips. And make sure you order the rolls with the parmesan cheese on top and the garlic/olive oil to dip them in. YUMMY. These are my girlfriend's entre.

I think you will enjoy the Dixie Stampede. You eat with your fingers and the food is pretty darn good under the circumstances.

No steel at Dollywood. Larry Stuart is a great player in the Country Tonight show, but they don't let him play a lot. Last time I was at the Smith Brother's show, Herby Wallace was playing, so it has been a while. If you want to hear steel, I think you would have better luck at this show than Country Tonight, which is a bigger show, but is not that steel friendly.

If you can find out who the steel player is and contact him, he might be able to swing you a couple of comp tickets, steel player to steel player.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 12:52 pm    

Thanks George, I'm seeing mixed reviews for The Best Italian, but I do like Italian food and will take your word for it and try it. According to Google, it's only a 10 minute walk from our hotel, so that helps too.

Since this is a bus tour, my time and personal transportation are limited, plus I'll be in Gatlinburg on Friday and Saturday. The Smith Brothers show is only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Country Tonite is sold out on Friday and I'll be doing the Stampede on Saturday night.

If anyone else has any dining or other evening ideas, I'll be overnighting in Alexandria, Luray, Lexington, and Williamsburg VA; Gettysburg PA; Beckley WV; Lexington and Bardstown KY; Gatlinburg TN; and Arden NC.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 8:02 pm     Is there any steel at Dollywood?

Jim, I had heard in April that the owner of the Best Italian had retired and that the new owner's had let things slip. I did not find this to be a problem, but then again, I order the same thing every time. I get a half dozen of the rolls and the meatball parmesan appetizer. That is all I can eat and I couldn't tell any difference in it. I was there in May for my birthday. They have great pizza too.

The Peddler Steak house is great, if you want to spend $40.00 and make a reservation. Too rich for my blood, but my brother swears by it and he knows steak.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2014 12:10 pm    

Hi Steel Guitar Lovers,

First, I have never been to Dollywood in TN. I have heard from different sources that they seldom ever featured steel players there anymore. I would like to visit there as I had ancestors from the Seveire County, TN area.

Next, Herby Wallace and I had a very interesting discussion regarding this situation. He was a MASTER of the Steel Guitar and he was my friend! I also know he became very frustrated at this situation for steel players at Dollywood.

While Herby's son-in-law may be a great banjo player and I am sure he is. Herby 's son Herby Wallace III is also a fantastic drummer! Dollywood if it's Country they should feature a prominent Steel Guitarist!

Branson, MO still features steel guitarists and thank GOD for that!

In my opinion, Country Music is not Country if it does not feature Steel Guitar and Fiddle on shows. While I enjoy Bluegrass music and I also have many friends into bluegrass and nothing against Banjo pickers, for I are one of them too! Get the Steel back in Country! Let's get Steel in the mix at these shows.

Utility man, I ain't in to that, I wear my own kind of hat!

GOD bless America and GOD bless Steel Guitarists!

Terry Wood
Steel Enthusiast