The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Semi Classic - pull rod binding on LKR
Mike Heugel

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2013 6:23 pm    

Hey Gang, My 70's MSA Semi-Classic has a pull rod binding issue going on, and I'm looking for some help solving.

(Including pics below to help with description).

The pull rod on the LKR 4th string lower is set to the furthest hole from the cross shaft (in my case, the second hole on the bell crank). The pull rods for the C pedal 4th string raise, and the LKL 4th string raise are routed right above the connection of the LKR pull rod on the bell crank.

The C pedal raise and LKL raise rods are binding on the LKR bell crank. When I use the C pedal, or LKL, it begins to move the LKR slightly to the left with each movement of the pedal or lever.

On the end-plate side, I only have 2 raise holes and 1 lower hole available: C pedal is on R1, LKL is on R2, and LKR is on L1 (however, I've noticed that the lower holes on the end plate all line up with the second lower holes on the fingers, meaning second furthest from the finger joint).

The obvious solution to my eye is to eliminate the excess rod coming off the LKR bell crank, as it looks like it's bent into the other rods... correct?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 5:28 am    

You don't have to eliminate anything, but you have a real jumble of rods there, and they should be removed and repositioned. The pictures are real clear, but it looks like there's a lot of bends in the rods. The rods can be properly bent, or pullers relocated, in order to eliminate any binding. However, keep in mind that on many steels, some knee levers (or other pedals) may move slightly when others are activated. As long as they do not move enough to affect the tuning of other strings or pedals, it's acceptable. It also looks like you have collars rubbing rach other at the endplate, and once again, this can be eliminated by proper bending/repositioning of the rods.

You should really take it to someone with good mechanical knowledge of steels, who can fix these problems and give you some guidance.

Mike Heugel

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 12:08 pm    

Thanks Donny. So far, everything is surprisingly staying, moving, and returning in tune, so I'll probably just deal with it for now.

Bruce Repka

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2014 9:38 am     reposition...

Hi Mike,
I realize this is an old post, but I just came across it. In your second picture, it appears to me that the bell crank is facing "up" instead of facing "down" as it should be and is probably the cause of all your problems.

Also, as you probably know, the changer on that guitar is double raise, double lower. But the endplate is only drilled out for certain positions. I have a '75 Semi-Classic and when I added a knee lever I had to drill a 1/4" hole in the endplate to access one of the raise fingers to install the pull rod.

Take a look at that bell crank. I believe if you loosen everything up and reposition that bell crank to where it is facing or pointing down to the floor, then reinstall the pull rod, your problems will be eliminated.