The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Teaching PSG.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2013 10:14 pm    

Yes Bob,
Sounds good! Still does!

Norman Boling

Paragould Arkansas, Philadelphia TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 6:26 am     Charts,tab,sheet music

I'm going to assume that all the players I see at good steel jams have learned the number system, chord structure, theory, and music evolution so that they can eventually play a 30-40 minute set by ear?? with nothing but a tune in their heads??

I like the "you hum it and I'll play it crowd"

It all fits together somehow but what comes first?, Chicken or the egg???

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 12:27 pm    

If your goal is to play PSG in a local weekend band then all you need to know is the basic chord positions, some understanding of pads, a few scales, a few cover all intros, a few cover all ending and a few tricks so you can noodle around in the scales and sound like you know what you’re doing when you‘re soloing.
I have no problem with that.
I heard a band playing mostly three chord country songs and the steel player just played some pads and some chord slides thru all the songs. I thought he sounded great and it seemed that was what was holding the band together and he made the singer and lead guitar player shine.
You could call that Practical Music Theory because it gets you out there playing in a very short period of time and you can learn things on the gig that you'll never get in books.

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2014 11:44 pm    

I found this link about musical talent.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21606259-musical-ability-dna-practice-may-not-make-perfect

"How do I get to the Carnegie Hall?
Lost Sir?
Yes.

Practice, practice, practice"

(saying of an old blues man).

Rolling Eyes

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2014 7:16 am    

I have payed guitar and bass for almost 30 years.

I grew up in the 80'es rock era and played all those hair band, power chord, intensive songs...

I took guitar lessons for about a year when I started and my instructor taught me how to read music, but he also told me that guitarist are "lazy" and very few learn to "Sight Read". And this guy was a guitar major in at the local university..

So... I blew along all those hears thinking I was a musician, and then pedal steel caught my interest.

I started 8 years ago and gave up.

I recently started again and found an instructor.
Yea, I have to drive and hour each way to a lesson, but it's worth it.

When I started setting across from Mike Sweeney a couple a times a month I figured our real quick just how much a musician I was NOT.

He immediately sent me down the road to Sam Ash to buy a book on music theory.

Mike's an excellent musician and teacher...
He has forgot more than I could hope to learn in the years I have left.

So.....

I say all that to say this.

There has to be a happy medium...

Some point between musical ineptitude and extreme academia where the average Joe like me can learn as much as I can, and enjoy the experience, and make some music.

I think tab is an excellent vehicle to bridge the gap between the two extremes.

With that you can get into it and make pleasing sounds more quickly.

And it's all about making music and having fun.. At least for me and most folks I know it is.

I'm geeky about stuff, so I WENT down the road to Sam Ash and BOUGHT the music theory for dummies books..

However if that's not your schtick then use whatever you can to squeeze the enjoyment out of the investment of time and money that you have made in the pedal steel world.

The internet and all the availability of sharing of information and knowledge that it supports (including this message thread) is just like everything else.. There is good and there is bad, and which it is for you most probably depends on how you use.

And as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that..."

Smile