The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Basket case" Sho-Bud could be complete
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 12:31 pm    

On this thread http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264700&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Tom Beck was asking about two instruments that had come into his possession. Turns out he lives 5 miles away from me - England is small, but how small is that! The first guitar is a Sho-Bud Permanent which is all in bits, but apparently complete, as all the shafts and levers and stuff that aren't in the photos are in the case (except the original pickup selector switch). There are nine pedals on the rack and an extra one. Pedal 1 is opposite handed and close to pedal 2. (I've had this explained but I forget.) It would not take a competent person very long to make this fine machine fly again. The undercarriage is empty apart from the pull wires still attached to the rear neck. Here are some of Tom's pics again plus some of my own. I would be good if someone could date it.

There is no doubt what this instrument is - the question is what it is worth as a set of parts.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 1:21 pm    

i would date it around 1960...but - somewhere along its life that one has had the guts ripped out and replaced with some home made cable system. i would guess it was originally either a 8 or 9-string that was converted to 10. only reason for someone to replace the key heads too (should have "gumby" heads). could have been a D-10 with 9 pedals but why toss the original key heads..plus those pickups & necks aren't original so it points to being a D-8/9, imo.
thats certainly not a permanent changer or undercarriage. that can go in the recycle bin.
too bad they cut the old duck-tails up.
it would be a lot of work to bring this up to spec - but hopefully someone will get it playing again in some capacity.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 6:31 am    

Kinda hurts to see this kind of stuff. Hope somebody will take the time to do something with it.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 May 2014 9:42 am    

Jim Williams wrote:
Kinda hurts to see this kind of stuff. Hope somebody will take the time to do something with it.

I hope you're not thinking of what they do to racehorses with broken legs. Whoa! Oh Well