The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best student / beginner steels vintage and current
Tom Geldner

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 10:28 pm    

I thought I'd start a thread guaranteed to elicit a lot of opinions LOL.

My vote for the best starter steel for the money was Russ Russell's original black student model with the solid aluminum frame. 3/2 or 3/1 I think. I bought mine for about $350 from Blackie Taylor wayyyy back when.

I was impressed enough by the quality that when I bought my first real steel, I got a 3/4 S-10 with a birdseye maple top (and solid alu frame) from Russ that was just awesome.

Now I'm back to dreaming about steels again having laid off the urge for 20 years.

So what do you guys think these days? StageOne? GFI S-10? Fessy 6-shooters? Hudson?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 2:43 am    

I think at value for money, the Stage One is REAL hard to beat: 3 and 4 for (I think it's still that price, but it hasn't moved for a few years so an increase wouldn't be unreasonable) under a thousand.
There are a handful of "economy pro" guitars in the $1500 range such as Mullen Discovery, Justice (I forget which model, but Fred will be along shortly, I wager), the Zum Encore (built by Doug Earnest, but designed by Bruce) and don't overlook the Simmons (Yes they're pull-release, but that shouldn't stop one. Pull-release has great tone, and the Simmons is well made).
Given that you can find NEW guitars with a full complement of levers at those prices, the only reason I can think of for buying a used student model from the 3/1 or 3/2 days is that you like the Sho-Bud tone and have found a Maverick at a decent price, or an Emmons GS-10. Many say that the student model Emmons has better tone than the "pro" guitars, and since it has a full changer, they can easily (if not cheaply) go to 3/5 or even 5/5

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 6:53 am    

Theres a shobud 3/4 posted on the forum today for a good price.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 6:56 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Many say that the student model Emmons has better tone than the "pro" guitars, and since it has a full changer, they can easily (if not cheaply) go to 3/5 or even 5/5

I have both an Emmons D-10 and a GS-10, and there are subtle differences in their sound, but they both do sound great. I would be hesitant to choose which sounds best.

The D-10 is 'mica with aluminum necks and has hotter pickups than the GS-10, which is lacquer and has no neck at all. I suspect those are the two chief factors resulting in any tonal variances between the two instruments.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 7:14 am    

I've never played a Stage One but only heard good things. I did have a chance to play a GFI a week or so ago and it is very lightly built but played ok. I had a Maverick on loan for a while, a good old guitar but limited with only one lever. Carter Starters play well except for the horrible knee levers and the fact that the undercarriage mechanics are easily bent. (I say this in all honesty even though I'm about to put one up for sale, there are better options.) My current beginner guitar for myself is an older 3/3 BMI S10. Built like a tank and should last forever, and they can often be picked up for $1000 or less.