The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a compressor to increase sustain. Anyone use one?
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 1:26 pm    

I know the subject of this post is vaguely sexual, but let's move along...

Who uses a compressor to increase sustain on their lap steels? Any suggestions of which pedals to get? Any downside to using these?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 1:43 pm    

If you do a search for compressor you'll find some recent threads on this subject.

Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 8:45 am    

I play a touchstyle 10-string guitar (5 melody and 5 bass) and I use a bit of compression and a bit of delay to increase the sustain. The only downside is that the dynamic range is reduced, but that shouldn't be a problem for folks who play steel, especially if you use a volume pedal.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 6:46 pm    

Proper use of the volume pedal should be all the assist you need in relations to "sustain". This allows you, the player, to be in control of all your notes.
Bill Stafford

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 8:48 pm    

Yes, it does add sustain, but that is just a side effect of compression and IMO the tone suffers tremendously. As Bill Stafford said, the volume pedal, and I might add, a good guitar, should give you all the sustain you could wish for... and as the Chinese say: "Be caleful what yo whish fol!"
BTW, a good way to learn proper use of a volume pedal, is not to use one (every now and then). But that's an other story.

------------------
The future belongs to culture. jaydee@bellsouth.net

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 12:39 am    

If I were you I'd leave the compression to the recording engineer.
If it's "one of the newer fellas", he will probably ladle it on in bucketsful!
In any case a studio compressor is likely to be more sophisticated than a gigging one.
You might consider looking into some of the more arcane reverb settings if you use a multi FX set up, or if you mean REAL Metal style sustain, use a distortion pedal.
You won't sound too country though!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 5:18 pm    

I use a touch of compression on all my multi-effect presets on my Boss SE-70.Mostly tho,it's to smooth out the peaks in my picking.When you're adjusting or programming your compressor,it's easy to experiment around and get the right amount,because there's only 2 or 3 parameters.I set mine up for a fast attack,around a 3 to 1 compression ratio and a fairly fast release-when it's set up wrong,you'll know it! That's pretty much the same way I'll set DBX 160Xs,Urei 1176s,and Orban 422s in my studio.In other words,I don't want to hear compression,I just want to keep the peaks down.Sustain kind of takes care of itself.
BTW,all Peavey steel amps have a mild amount of compression built in to their circuits.I used to play steel thru a Lab Series L-5 100 watt w/2-12's and it also had a built in compressor that you could turn up,down or off plus a parametric mid control and it too,sounded great for steel-especially w/JBL or EV speakers.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 10:59 pm    

Some years ago I attended a Newman seminar where he used an MXR Compressor to demonstrate some funky rock licks and blues stuff. Although you wouldn't want to use it on a traditional shuffle or slow song it does have it's occasional uses for a different punchy sound. Pete.