Author Topic:  Hearing quality restored with bionic ear technology used for
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 1:31 pm    

Hearing quality restored with bionic ear technology used for gene therapy

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-04-quality-bionic-ear-technology-gene.html

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 6:07 pm    

Thanks, John. It's not quite a reality yet for us humans, but it's coming. I am a recent candidate for cochlear implant therapy, so I'm always watching out for the latest news. Smile

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2014 4:39 am    

me too.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2014 5:00 am    

Huh?

Me three

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2014 10:13 am     Repair at cost

I own a hearing aid repair lab, We will repair any hearing aid at our cost for any Forum member!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2014 2:26 pm    

With all due respect Al, it is my understanding that someone who is eligible for cochlear implants has gone beyond the need for ordinary hearing aids..

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2014 3:26 pm     Forum members & hearing aids

Yes Barry, that is correct in most cases, I posted
the repair info assuming some with hearing aids
needing repair, would not have to pay hundreds
for repairs that most dealers charge, Regards! Al

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 6:28 am    

I apologize for this somewhat unrelated subject and the potential for hijacking this thread, but would someone answer a question I've had for years, please?

That is, with all the incredible miniaturization of electronics, digital advancements, lower costs, etc. that are evident everywhere, I still don't understand why hearing aids cost so much. I mean, a hearing aid is simply an amplifier with certain features or bells and whistles in a small package. The electronics, it seems to me, are just this side of basic. Again, a little amp with some tone-altering capabilities, directionality and a few other features.

Sure, there are those who argue that "it's really very sophisticated and great deals of research are involved and yada, yada." But I'm still not getting it.

Somebody educate me. I'm fast to the point of believing it's mostly hype, as compared with what is out there in the rest of the electronics world. Thanks.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 10:05 am    

Eric, according to this article it would seem that, once again, retailer mark-up is possibly the largest contributing factor..
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-06/why-do-hearing-aids-cost-more-than-laptops

John Sadler

Belmont, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 8:17 am    

Eric - here's why... (I used to work on the Lyric Hearing device):

The cost of goods of a modern digital hearing aid is about 10% of the retail price. From that, the manufacturer makes a very healthy profit.

Most of the rest of the revenue goes to the audiologist / dealer. The way hearing aids are typically sold today, the audiologist more or less supports your device at no extra charge for the whole time you have it, and may even provide a no cost trial and exchange period. Custom fitting, tuning, and repeat visits are often included at no extra charge.

That is an expensive way to distribute any product. There are many devices out there that skirt this traditional distribution channel, provided you are willing to tune (and possibly fit) them yourself, or use a device that does not require tuning. Here's one example from the inventor of the Lyric device: iHear Medical

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 8:29 am    

My problem is quite loud Tinnitus. Can't hear what people are saying over the high-pitched white noise whines, and clicks, and beeps. An implant won't help me, but I thought some might be interested.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 8:42 am    

John, have you tried these guys?
http://www.ata.org/

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 8:46 am    

Barry,
Will check them out. With some many in, or retired from, the military that have this problem, you'd think there would be more govt. funding for research. After all, govt. funding IS our tax dollars!

John Sadler

Belmont, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 8:59 am    

John -
TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) is a promising, but experimental therapy that tries to work on the source of the tinnitus problem directly. It is usually possible to find doctors in your area who do TMS, and the VA does sponsor some research in this field. It may be worth asking.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 9:17 am    

Interesting, John! Will check it out! Plug my brain into the wall? Hey! I did this when I was 2/3 years old! Saw The Blue Light! I remember it vividly!

"Shoot the juice to me, Bruce!"

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 11:44 am    

I had a cochlear implant done four years ago and am playing again.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 2:24 am    

John Billings wrote:
"Shoot the juice to me, Bruce!"

Somebody else remembers 'Transfusion!'

I was amazed to see my old boss last year, 95 year old geneticist who flew fifty missions as a navigator in WWII plus untold training flights.
He finally broke down and asked the VA for hearing aids and got these cool devices with little RF antennae sticking out of his ears, very space-age. They must've been costly if he couldn't afford them on his own. Perhaps they'll get cheaper in time, like computers.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 8:52 am    

Quote:
Somebody else remembers 'Transfusion!'

Nervous Norvus, baby…!

Quote:
Perhaps they'll get cheaper in time, like computers.

Apple being the notable exception, of course..

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 11:37 am    

Apple crapple is definitely as cheap as any other proprietary pc on the market ....they just cost twice as much. lol Winking

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 10:16 pm    

Gee wiz those Australians are clever!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 10:23 pm    

Storm;
"they just cost twice as much. lol "
Well I'm still running my Quicksilver G4 that I bought when they came out like 12 years ago. No problems ever, Never has crashed. Electric company blew out the power supply, but the replacement was cheap.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2015 2:30 pm    

Excellent John, however I must mention I was primarily referring to post 06 when they went from PowerPC processors and architecture to chipzilla (Intel-x86) at which time they became an over-priced pc IMO..Stormy Smile

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 12:15 am    

John Sadler wrote:
Eric - here's why... (I used to work on the Lyric Hearing device):

The cost of goods of a modern digital hearing aid is about 10% of the retail price. From that, the manufacturer makes a very healthy profit.

Most of the rest of the revenue goes to the audiologist / dealer. The way hearing aids are typically sold today, the audiologist more or less supports your device at no extra charge for the whole time you have it, and may even provide a no cost trial and exchange period. Custom fitting, tuning, and repeat visits are often included at no extra charge.

That is an expensive way to distribute any product. There are many devices out there that skirt this traditional distribution channel, provided you are willing to tune (and possibly fit) them yourself, or use a device that does not require tuning. Here's one example from the inventor of the Lyric device: iHear Medical

Very similar to the funeral industry. Big money in living,big money in dying....same way with "sleep medicine"....what a racket !

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 12:40 am    

Dustin Rigsby wrote:
John Sadler wrote:
Most of the rest of the revenue goes to the audiologist / dealer.

My mother gets virtually unlimited support for her hearing appliances, from re-fitting to free ear cleaning at the Old Folks' Home.
It's a boon for her, but makes me wonder at the principle cost of the devices.
Quote:
Very similar to the funeral industry. Big money in living,big money in dying....same way with "sleep medicine"....what a racket !

No kidding; it costs to be born and then they charge you to die (for the 'eternal care,' I suppose), and in the meantime,
all those costs for ineffective sleep medicine while we lie awake worrying about the cost of 'living!'

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 7:34 pm    

LOL... Charlie those hearing aids from the VA Don't have little RF antennas sticking out of each ear. Those are little mono-filament lines with a knot on the end to remove the hearing aids from yer ears Laughing .
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"