The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel Stand
Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 7:07 pm    

I had a successful bid on ebay for one of the black steel stands being offered there. Its in the mail. Have any of you had any experience with them? They have a starting price of $29 and no one seems to be bidding. I got mine for that plus $8.95 shipping. Can't go much wrong at that price. They are out of Nashua, New Hampshire. I'll report later.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 7:39 pm    

Hmm... Fred, was that recently? I remember a couple of days ago I saw something that was listed a "Steel guitar stand". Sure enough, It caught my attention. Turned out it was a stand to put a regular guitar on (you know, like in the music stores) made of steel, black!
I hope you know what you bought...

I have an antique lap-steel-guitar-stand... "Justrite"-brand.
Anyway, it's one of the better ones, but after trying it once, I decided I wouldn't trust one of my beloved Ricks on it.

------------------
The future belongs to culture. jaydee@bellsouth.net

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 7:03 am    

Back in the 40's and 50's, there was a ton of lap steel guitar stands made. Some were of poor quality. But some were excellent.

The ones that were really good were made to sit down behind or stand up behind. And they were very sturdy. Nickel plated steel.

But for some reason, they have just vanished from the face of the earth so to speak. I have hunted for one for 40 yrs. I know exactly what they looked like.

Wayne Tanner of Texas (JB officiando), has one. I just can't believe that NO body knows what happened to all of these stands.

If ANYbody has one that you want to part with, please contact me.

770-448-8455. Call me collect if you wish.

God Bless you all,

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 07 December 2000 at 07:06 AM.]

Fred Layman

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 9:55 pm    

These stands appear at 3 or 4 different places on the "steel guitar" search. There are photos and none look like a stand for a regular guitar. They have adjustable height and two different tops available, presumably for a single or double-neck guitar. Check them out. May be what lap steel players are looking for. (No, I don't know the seller).

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 10:32 pm    

Fred, the stand looks like a regular 6-string guitar stand that will accomodate two guitars opposing each other, back to back.

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 10:54 am    

What's wrong with a keyboard stand? I got mine on sale for $25 in real money (about $17 US ), and it works just fine.

------------------
John Kavanagh
D-8, acoustic 8

[This message was edited by John Kavanagh on 08 December 2000 at 10:55 AM.]

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 2:12 am    

Keyboard stands work fine and can be set up fast.
Still, always someone who gets a better price than I do ($17)!

Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 8:28 am    

Do keyboard stands have a standard maximum height? I ask this because I am bought a keyboard stand for my lap steels a couple of years ago and have never felt comfortable with the hieght. It's highest position is too low, I have to stoop slightly to play which is very uncomfortable.

Fred Layman

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 9:05 pm    

Still haven't received it (tho' I sent my credit card # the day following the bid), but I think J.D. is correct, i.e., its a stand for two regular guitars. Oh well, I can see some creative possibilities for converting it, or else put it under the Christmas tree and persuade my wife that I'm not stupid and it would be useful in the laundry room to hang clothes on for drying.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 10:08 pm    

Talking about a lap steel stand. When I had my National New Yorker, I had a stand for it and it was too wiggly for me. I couldn't trust it.
Standing up was better for showmanship, so I took 2 bar stools, put my square case across them, and hanging over the front, I put a nice shiny cloth, put my steel on top of the case.
They really liked the looks of it and were impressed. We had a Hawaiian trio, very popular in those days. That was in my early days in Cleveland, Ohio...Happy Holiday Season....al

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 10:11 pm    

Fred,

It's a little expensive, but Steel Guitar Nashville sells sockets/legs for laps. You just need a 1 1/4" drill bit. There's nothing like it. I've tried a keyboard stand -- okay, but nothing like having legs. If you play out, go for the sockets/legs. Gosh, even if you just love playing at home and want to use something other than your lap, get sockets/legs. I personally like the legs, even though I don't stand -- I sit (well, my brother just found an old Sho-Bud pack-a-seat at an auction in Indiana, and although I'm playing lap, what the heck -- I'm still sittin'!), and I prefer the sturdiness of legs. Plus, if you're playing for a couple of hours, it's just more practical. It might be close to $125, but think about what $125 gets you now-a-days. It's worth it. I've got two sets of sockets and one set of legs I use for three guitars. I'll probably break down and get the third set of sockets so I can just keep them in there...and when I get another lap...I guess I'll get another set. By the way, three legs will do it -- and they are telescopic for if you want to stand, unless you're extremely tall. If you do this, either email me or specifically ask Mr. Seymour how to position them. Al

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 7:34 am    

I have been thinking about a different stand approach for my Fender T-8. It has factory hubs for three socket legs. At some point of it's ownership, a forth leg was added for stability (extra hub and spread to each corner). When I received the steel from purchasing, it was converted back to a tripod configuration. It was probably converted back to make it "ogiginal" again.
I've said all that to ask: do you guys think the tripod config is stable? Especially when extended enough to stand. Or, does a four leg config spread too far, and does it too seem unstable?

Jim Vogan

Ohio City, Ohio 45874
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 10:06 am    

I took lessons from Ron Dearth,he taught in several towns around the area. He sold a very sturdy stand, it had a steel shaft that seemed like 3/4 inch stock, it also had a builtin music rack. there has to be a lot of them around the area, but I can't find any. Still looking. Jim