The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ACM Musician???
Harold Bullard

Harrisonville, MO 64701 USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 5:36 pm    

Was there an ACM musician of the year? I've googled and googled and every so called "complete list of winners" I found only had the top categories on it.

Why is it all these award shows care so little for recognizing the musicians? If not for the musicians, there would be no "stars". Then there would be no need for award shows either.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 7:43 pm    

Quote:
Why is it all these award shows care so little for recognizing the musicians? If not for the musicians, there would be no "stars". Then there would be no need for award shows either.

Harold, I believe you're on to something...

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 5:26 am    

ACM = "Alleged Country Music"

CMA = "Country My A##"

They lost my viewership years back.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 6:43 am    

The CMA has just one "Musician of the Year" category. The ACM recognizes players on each instrument, though they don't do nearly enough to publicize it, and they don't present them on the televised part of the awards show.

BASS PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Michael Rhodes
DRUMMER OF THE YEAR: Shannon Forrest
GUITAR PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Rob McNelley
PIANO/KEYBOARDS PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Charlie Judge
SPECIALTY INSTRUMENT(S) PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Bryan Sutton
STEEL GUITAR PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Paul Franklin

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 7:24 am    

Those musicians are all so good that it seems arbitrary to pick one over another. I wonder what they base their decisions on?

Quote:

The stars are the whole reason that an award show is possible. Without them, it would just be a bunch of music nerds playing music for each other and few others. Also, if there's any objective basis at all for giving out awards, it's due to the stars' talent as entertainers and generating excitement about their music. If a star can also do it with taste... all the better!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 11:50 am    

It's all about the singer. Nowadays a musician must be content with just being recognized by his peers. The days of a player being famous with the public like Chet, Boots, Danny Davis, Floyd, Buddy Rich, etc.... seem to be over. I don't think the music buying public in general cares who's playing on the records. Since there's plenty of good steel players, guitar players, etc... available for sessions, I think a major artist recording will do just as well with one as the other as long as the playing is good. It's only us extremist musician types that pick (no pun intended) the music apart, and there's not enough of us to even get an ear with the record companies.

RC

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 2:16 pm    

Most of the kind of playing you hear on pop music today doesn't require real musicians (or singers, for that matter). So much is done with computers, and it will only get worse, far worse, in the future. There's little that can be done to reverse the trend because real music, the kind that's created by musicians, is being slowly buy surely replaced by a recording engineer/whiz kid and his software.

What I find amusing is that some of the steelers who gripe about declining playing opportunities are the first ones to throw on some "tracks" at a steel show or gig - and play along with them (as opposed to playing with real musicians).

Technology has largely replaced artists, sculptors, and model makers. Look for it to eventually do the same with musicians, actors, and singers. Confused

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 2:25 pm    

Curt, I understand what you're saying, but on the other hand, just once, I'd like to see how many fans would stay (or pay) to hear their "star" sing a cappella their entire show.

I'll just say I don't know of any I would care to hear sing solo sans music.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 3:24 pm    

Quote:
Curt, I understand what you're saying, but on the other hand, just once, I'd like to see how many fans would stay (or pay) to hear their "star" sing a cappella their entire show.

Laughing Probably more than dare admit to ourselves! Laughing People pay money just to buy the tabloid magazines with their pictures in them.

But I feel the same way as you. Many of my favorite stars are that way because they allow their backing musicians the opportunities to do what they're good at.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 5:38 pm    

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2014 8:01 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
It's all about the singer. Nowadays a musician must be content with just being recognized by his peers. The days of a player being famous with the public like Chet, Boots, Danny Davis, Floyd, Buddy Rich, etc.... seem to be over.

I know who Buddy Rich is because he was on Carson. Chet had records out ( and was now and again on TV) , back when people bought instrumental records. Ditto Boots.

The early generation of television depended on cabaret, club, vaudeville performers. That only happens once.

Rick Campbell wrote:

I don't think the music buying public in general cares who's playing on the records. Since there's plenty of good steel players, guitar players, etc... available for sessions, I think a major artist recording will do just as well with one as the other as long as the playing is good.

Just so - but Muscle Shoals, Stax, The Wrecking Crew and the Funk Brothers prove it was entirely possible for anonymous musicians to have a huge impact on popular music. Heck, most of the Nashville guys were anonymous-ish - very few became prominent as their own brand outside the industry.

Frank Zappa thought it was the transition from "cigar chomping old guys" ( think the Chess brothers) to people the same age as the artists where the damage began to set in.

Rick Campbell wrote:
It's only us extremist musician types that pick (no pun intended) the music apart, and there's not enough of us to even get an ear with the record companies.
RC

I read some of the genre names on Craigslist postings - which involve five adjectives strung together ( with "post" in there twice ) - and wonder how it all got that fragmented. People build tribute bands to bands that never made a dime.

"We Shield Millions" is the motto of the company that founded WSM. It was not designed to be a country music thing at all. It just happened.