The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  live steel strings, .012 on 3rd string E9th ?
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 2:57 pm    

Howdy Neighbors, I saw someone on Ebay selling those
Live Steel strings. Their saying no.3 string is .012. Could that be a mistake? I wasn't sure
you could pull a .012 string up to an A for any length of time. Any how I ordered a couple of sets from the steel guitar forum store, and the stainless sets had .011 for no.3. Anybody know? Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 2:59 pm    

Many sets run 12s. They sound a bit thicker.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 4:08 pm    

I have tried the 12 gauge a couple of times.

1. I very much liked the extra tensile strength of the 12 gauge. I loved the extra resistance under my pick.

2. I was afraid the string would break and cut my finger off just above the knuckle.

3. Bottom line (for me); I did not like the 12 for a third string.

The volume of the third string was not as loud as the 11 and when playing 3 and 4 together or 3 and 5 together the other strings seemed to dominate the combination.

I know a couple of great players that use a 12 gauge for a third Paul Franklin being one of them.

It just wasn't for me. I couldn't get past the volume thing and the possibility of needing stitches in my face.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 4:44 pm    

I'm afraid to use a .012. With my luck, it would break, cut me, and I would bleed to death. Mad

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 6:22 pm    

Been using Live Steels for a good while now. Never have broke a .012 yet. I hate to admit it but on one guitar about 3 years now and they still sound pretty darn good.

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 6:22 pm    

I started using 12's on my GFI'S due to some breakage issues. I got use to them and now use 12's on both my Rains guitars.

Maybe I'll A/B 11's to 12's sometime soon and give a report. But be assured Live Steel Strings irregardless of whichever I choose.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 6:38 pm    

I used 12s on my last 2 or 3 sets of LiveSteels. I haven't broken one yet. I'm going to try some 11s for comparison.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 7:11 pm    

.012 on 3 has got to be rough when they let go!
I've gotten nailed a few times with the .011 SIT strings. Maybe that's why they give you two .011s
in there sets. I will say in that price range their not bad, But I,ve had a set of Live Steel strings 0n my BMI S-10, .011 on string 3, and they sound great. I'll be using them from now on. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 21 Apr 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 8:28 pm    

Lee,
If you're thinking that a .012 will break easier or
sooner than a smaller guage because it requires more
tension to bring it up to pitch, that may be true:
However, it takes less travel from the changer,
ie. less bending of the string, to raise it a half-tone
with the pedal, and that means less breakage due
to flexing the wire.
~Rw

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 8:36 pm    

I've tried 11's before, I just find the tone to be thin and dead on my guitar anyways...(24" scale), and 12's sound like the rest of the strings, and have similar pick feel.

I like the guitar being under extra tension. I don't break the third strings as often as the fourth string, which I beat to death with my E-F# raise. If a 15 doesn't scare you guys, why would a 12?

There's string vendors that sell 11.5's...that might be the perfect compromise...I went to 9.5 gauge string sets on my electric guitars, and I think they are the perfect combination of tone and bending ease.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 8:54 pm    

The Jagwire strings I used to use had the .0115 3rd strings. I didn't really notice much different than their sets with a .011. I may just try a .012 here shortly and see what happens.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 3:31 am    

We have the 11.5s

http://livesteelstrings.com/cart/index.php?l=product_list&c=7

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:42 am    

I switched to a .012 for that high G# 10 or 12 years ago. That high G# now has more body and balances better with the other high strings, AND it has never broken on any of my U12 guitars...Emmons, MSA, MCI, or Dekley.

BTW, I've used Cobra Coil, and Jagwire strings with the same results...no breakage.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:50 am    

Wonder how Emmons got that beautiful tone back in the 60s and 70s, with that little 10 gauge string?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:53 am    

I have used a 12 for the 3rd string for several years with no problem. I just like the full, rich tone I get from a 12 and also from the Live Steel string.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 6:59 am    

i've used trouble free 10's for decades.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 7:42 am    

chris ivey wrote:
i've used trouble free 10's for decades.

With Buddy Emmon's tone?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 7:54 am    

Sid Hudson wrote:
Wonder how Emmons got that beautiful tone back in the 60s and 70s, with that little 10 gauge string?

Good question. .010's really don't sound good to my ears. When I was waiting for my first ZB to arrive, the music store loaned me a single 8 Fender PSG. It had no roller nut. I had to go down to like a .008. I believe that's what it was. It was the smallest that Ernie Ball had. Talk about a lousy sound, and it still broke.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 4:37 am    

I just bought a set to try from Gary Sill at the midwest show and wound em up an hour ago to let em set for a while and the 3rd - 012 broke right at the ferrel right before I got to G on the tuning, &#*#%*^%$$^, Yeah that sux ,no extra in the pack.
I will say they have a nice long ring to them, sure would have liked to try a full set of these just once to see about the 012 on the 3rd, Oh well back to a spare GHS 011, Cant wait to try em out, tonight I`ll crank em to where they should be tuned.

Edited: I should explain my ignorance along with this ,I have a sierra gearless with a canyon type changer to hold the strings, (NO PIN) Question ? does it matter to have the hole of the ferrel staring out or should the wrap around the ferrel be staring out?I`ve always kept the hole staring out and never had a problem so....
I`m trying to figure out why it broke there... It drives into a crazy little butch when this happens to any new set of strings, I got learn to relax when this happens before I blow a gasket.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 6:26 am    

Craig, I've always put the string wrap facing out so the ferule is what's holding the string in the slot.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 9:37 am    

I put a .012 on string 3 a couple of days ago. I have been practicing about 6 hours a day. It sounds great and hasn't broke. I like the heavier gauge strings and this one seems a little more balanced volume wise than an .011. I'll see how long it lasts. I may end up going to the .012 permanently.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 9:42 am    

The Live Steel .012 is the best sounding string I've ever used.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 9:50 am    

Craig Schwartz wrote:
I just bought a set to try from Gary Sill at the midwest show and wound em up an hour ago to let em set for a while and the 3rd - 012 broke right at the ferrel right before I got to G on the tuning, &#*#%*^%$$^, Yeah that sux ,no extra in the pack.
I will say they have a nice long ring to them, sure would have liked to try a full set of these just once to see about the 012 on the 3rd, Oh well back to a spare GHS 011, Cant wait to try em out, tonight I`ll crank em to where they should be tuned.

Edited: I should explain my ignorance along with this ,I have a sierra gearless with a canyon type changer to hold the strings, (NO PIN) Question ? does it matter to have the hole of the ferrel staring out or should the wrap around the ferrel be staring out?I`ve always kept the hole staring out and never had a problem so....
I`m trying to figure out why it broke there... It drives into a crazy little butch when this happens to any new set of strings, I got learn to relax when this happens before I blow a gasket.

I am not familiar with your guitar. But you have to be cautious of this:

Last edited by Sid Hudson on 25 Apr 2014 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 9:51 am    

The .012 I put on was a Live Steel String. How I ended up with one of their .012's is a mystery to me. But, I agree with Erv. It sounds so much better than an .011. I hope I can get good longevity out of it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2014 10:01 am    

Richard,
For years I've sort of avoided the 3rd string in my playing because of the thin sound I was getting from it. Of late though, with the Live Steel strings, I can get a sound from that string that compares quite well with the other strings on the neck.