The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excell 12 string
Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 5:36 am    

I break strings 3&4. This happens at the ball end. It never reaches G# or E. It pulls and breaks the strings by pulling and breaking at the far side of the ball. There is no tension with any pedals or levers. I even tune it next to my Dekley, string for string. Have already tried about every string manf. Breaking at that location almost eliminated the rollers. Have already moved those fingers to another location, and they work there. Also there is no help from Japan.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 5:58 am    

I'm not familiar with the Excel guitars, but does the ball end mount on a post, or into a slot? If it's a slot, you need to make sure the ball end isn't riding crooked in the slot. That would cause the string to be pinched against the side of the slot, and could be causing the breakage.

If it mounts on a post, and the string breaks at the ball, I'd say you have some defective strings. It happens from time to time.

John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 6:10 am    

Mike Wheeler wrote:
I'm not familiar with the Excel guitars, but does the ball end mount on a post, or into a slot? If it's a slot, you need to make sure the ball end isn't riding crooked in the slot. That would cause the string to be pinched against the side of the slot, and could be causing the breakage.

I've often wondered about that. My Sierra has slots, and I used to try to make sure the ball was straight as you recommended, even though the Sierra manual says nothing about it. But it's very difficult -- practically impossible -- to keep the ball straight while dealing with the other end of the string. So I finally just stopped worrying about it. As far as I can tell, it hasn't made any difference at all. I do very rarely break a string, but almost never at the ball.

Of course, that's just my particular guitar. Others may be different.

John

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 7:28 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=35973&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=ba30c39c2adfd7aba167cef24507de44

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 5:38 am    

Cured. Thank You

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 5:39 am    

What was it exactly?