The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro-izing a Stringmaster?
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 4:41 pm    

I seem to recall hearing one time that there is a way to "dobro-ize" a lap or stand-up steel with a special pickup. Is this like a Fishman-type of pickup, or piezo or something? I think it would be great to have that tone option available on my Double 8, if it is in fact something you can do.

Thanks!
TJW

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 7:12 am    

A somewhat costly, but effective way to Dobro-ize your steel is to get a Goodrich Superbro, or the old model, Matchbro. The effect works quite well. They pop up on Buy & Sell board from time to time.

I don't know about pickups for steels, although I am gonna get a set of those Fishman saddles for my Tele. Would be cool if they made something like that for lap steel.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 10:16 am    

Has anyone tried a Boss Acoustic Simulator? I'm wondering just how well this works. While I wouldn't expect a real acoustic sound, if it gets close to an acoustic/electric guitar sound, it might do the trick.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 10:28 am    

I ordered the Boss pedal from Musicians Friend, messed with it for an evening, and sent it right back. Didn't work for me. Seemed to just add a bit of an overtone on top of the guitar signal which, maybe buried in a mix would sound somewhat acoustic-y, but it's definitely not a convincing sound by itself. It was a little better on a standard electric, but not good enough to keep, in my opinion.