The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Retirement from Llano Opry Llano, Tx.
Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2014 8:41 pm    

After 15 years of doing the Llano Opry and a recent hip replacement caused most likely from carrying a 70 lb. D-10 steel with matching amp for the past 65 years, I decided it was time to fold-em from the Opry. For the last year or so I've had to impose on others for help loading and unloading my equipment. I've enjoyed the Opry and have backed many heavyweights from Nashville and Branson thru the years. I also played the Georgetown Opry 6 or 7 years before that doing the same thing. I will still do a few dance gigs, but they're not as hard to prepare for. On the Opry the Star entertainer will send a set-list and a CD with a dozen or so songs and you have to learn the kickoffs and keys and all the arrangements, then when the time comes they might or might not stick with the list. Even if they do you'll probably play the rest of your life and never do those songs again. I'm 78 years old and I've had a good run and have been very lucky to have worked with some of the best entertainers and musicians in the State of Texas and elsewhere. I'm just gonna give it a rest.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 12:09 am    

Enjoy your retirement Don - sounds as though you have earned it. Lots of great memories.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 12:49 am    

I'd say congratulations are very much in order! Kick back - you've earned it!

Gary Carriger

Victoria, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 7:20 pm    

Congrats on the "slow down" Don. It has been a long road from the Jimmy Harper days....

Bobby Rountree

San Angelo, Texas, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 9:27 am     Retirment

They are losing a good one at the Opry.....I could not agree with you more on working several weeks to learn songs, licks and keys then have the whole thing change at showtime. I remember playing a job with a star that had a new CD out....I was struggling on fiddle then....you and I learned every arrangement & lick....and come showtime...he changed nearly every key. Not being a great fiddle player, I will never forget that night. Don...get that lake filled...your boat going good and the new Rod & Reel strung up.....we have some fishin' to catch up on. HAPPY RETIREMENT !!!!!......."Tree"