The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Add more weight to a Dunlop bar. Here's how.
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 7:24 am    

I have been using the Dunlop 919 Jerry Byrd bar for the past year or so. The dimensions are:

2 3/4" Length
3/4" Diameter
4.5 oz. Weight

I am happy with the length and diameter but have always wanted the bar to be heavier.

This past weekend I succeeded in adding more weight to the bar (Thanks to a fellow forumite for the advice).

The 919 bar is hollow inside and it's actually only 4.32 oz (I weighed it at my local deli). I drilled a tiny hole through the red end cap and it easily popped off intact. I went to Kmart and bought a package of BB sized fishing sinkers (very soft and pliable). I packed the sinkers one by one into the cavity using a hammer and an old Phillips head screwdriver. When filled, I recapped it and sealed it with a clear acrylic rubber caulk.

I brought the weight up to 5 oz. Now I know this doesn't sound like much of a difference, but the tone is much fatter and there is little if any bar chatter on the lower strings when I play two note harmonies especially on the 1st and 4th strings.

Yes, you can add weight without adding inches

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 04 December 2000 at 07:29 AM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 11:03 am    

I use the 919 and feel the same way about it being too light, but happy about every other aspect of it. Thanks Gerald for this excellent info, I'll be giving this a shot.

-Bill

Dr. Ike

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 3:34 pm    

Hey Big Bill and the Ross-Man, You guys have been going to the gym too much. No wonder that bar feels too light! May have to go with the 20 lb. dumbbell pretty soon. I'm going to have to raid the tackle box looking for lead weights. Gerald, see you soon in Hawaii. Hey Bill, have fun in Italy, aloha, Doc.

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 11:46 pm    

has anyone checked out the John Pearse cryogenically treated steels? I've been using a big heavy JP bullet for about 5 yrs now; I think it's great. it seems the freezing process is really effective: mine doesn't even have the tiniest nick in it after all this time.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 6:46 am    

Hi HOWaiian,

So how about giving us dimensions of the
JP bar? LxW, weight too. Price?

Jeff Schaffer

Joplin, Mo.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 11:37 pm    

Check out jpstrings.com for info and pics of these bars.

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 8:59 pm    

I'm happy with the weight & the width of the 919, but if you're working your way through Jerry's " Serious Student" course - you'll have some serious trouble executing those 1,2,3, fret slants ( say strings 4,3,2 in B11th ). On my 22.5 scale that bar is 1/8 inch shy of being ABLE to properly sound the chord ! Solution: John Pearse bar or BJS bar - both 2 7/8 long.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 11:05 am    

The Dunlop 918 is 3 7/8 long and 7/8 diameter and weighs 5.2 oz according to their spec. I received this and the 919 from Scotty's yesterday. I'm used to the 919 so I'm not sure if I like the 918 as much (it feels a little different with the extra length) but I think it's fine. Interestingly enough, Dunlop calls the the 918 the "Jerry Byrd Model" even though the 919's shorter, smaller diameter specification matches what JB recommends in his course.

-Bill

PS Price for either 918 or 919 from Scotty's is $17 plus shipping.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 1:22 pm    

Bill,

You mean 2 7/8" in length, right?
------------------------------------
The Jim Dunlop site lists the 918 as follows:

918 5.5 oz. Professional Stainless Steel,
3/4 x 3-1/16.
U.S. Sugg. List Price: $19.95

Is the Dunlop site wrong?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 2:16 pm    

I've owned both the Pierce bar and the Dunlop Jerry Byrd bar for about 7 years. I always find myself gravitating to the Pierce bar. John Pierce told me he purchased (If memory serves) a cryogenic kettle from the Philadelphia Navy yard and uses it to harden these bars with liquid nitrogen. I can't comment on the science (or lack there of) at work here but They are great bars IMHO.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 3:21 pm    

Thanks for correcting me Gerald. 2 7/8" long. I was probably wrong about the weight too as I don't have the spec here in front of me.

As far as tone, when I a/b the 919 and 918 I don't detect any difference.

PS The Dunlop site is wrong. Check out http://www.scottysmusic.com/steel_bars01.htm
The spec you mention appears to describe
what Scotty's lists as a Dunlop #902.

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 5:55 pm    

hey Gerald,

sorry I didn't respond to yer post, but I just logged on today for the 1st time in days.

the answers the others provided were better than anything I could've come up with anyway!

so I guess most of us use a bullet-style bar rather that a Stevens? I was using a Stevens until I checked out Brozman's video. after speaking w/John Pearse (a fantastically nice guy!), I ordered his steel & never looked back. now if I could only play better....

as an aside, for any of you experimental or rock-style players, here's my ultimate setup for the hugest sound around: Stringmaster 8 (mine's a '52)->Ernie Ball volume pedal->"Vintage" ProCo Rat (oblong/no LED)->roland RE201 Space Echo->'65 Deluxe Reverb. sends shivers down me spine every time!