The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with Audacity recording Stereo Mix
Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 11:04 am    

Recently, I have run into a problem recording the Stereo Mix using Audacity. Monitoring while Audacity is recording the stereo Mix sounds fine but when I play the track back it sounds like it was recorded using a phase shifter. Any idea of what is happening? I'm using version 2.0.1 Thanks.
Henry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 2:41 am    

Audacity has many effect options. Check that none of these are enabled.

Peter Lindsley

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 7:01 am    

Jack

This question one keeps popping up from time to time...

Audacity will have a latency as part of the very nature of software audio solutions. This latency can be corrected within the software itself.

Check this out
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Latency_Test

Further micro adjustments may have to be carried even after you have done the above. This can be achieved by cutting or pasting small bits of ´silence´ at the beginning of the recorded track. Made easier if you make sure you record a tap or something in time with the count in from the backing track then you can align it with the count in, in Audacity.

Hope this helps. It´s a lot easier to do than to write about Laughing

atb
Pete

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 9:11 am    

I don't associate "latency" with a "Phase shifter" as described by the original poster.

I have a home recording studio, using Sonar X3 Producer and do a lot of recording. I've done two CD project sessions and a 3 song demo session this week.

Peter Lindsley

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2014 7:14 am    

Jack

sorry I targeted my response to you in error. Should of course been to Henry.

I take your point re latency v variable phase sound. I´d assumed he had meant ´out of phase´ by a fixed amount Embarassed .

In any event, Audacity effects are not enabled, as in switched on or off but have to applied to an individual track for them to be active. ie a very positive user interaction that he would unlikely not to be aware of Very Happy .

Henry

did you get this fixed yet?

Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2014 10:46 am    

Jack & Peter
Thank you for your replies. I guess Phase shifter wasn't a very good example. What I'm hearing is a slow wow sound. I used the Stereo Mix option to record just the audio track from a video on the net so I can figure out the chords to a song. I don't remember this happening on recordings I have made in the past but now it is occurring. I did check a few of my previous recordings and they don't have the wow problem.
Henry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2014 1:04 pm    

Is this just one time or have you tried multiple streaming audio from the internet recordings?

How about a local recording, such as a music CD?

Henry Brooks

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 12:15 pm    

Jack:
Sorry I'm so late responding. It's only on streaming.
Henry

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2014 3:10 pm    

What do I do to listen while recording ? It works OK on my PC but not on my laptop.

Tony

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2014 2:26 am    

You have to have the "Stereo Mix" (also called System Mixer and "What You Hear" by Creative/SoundBlaster) as the default recording device to be able to record streaming audio.