The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro D.I.Y Improvement Questions
Ian Campbell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 1:42 pm    

I have a 1977 [O.M.I] Dobro, It's sounds pretty good but lacks volume and low end tone. I'm thinking of puttting in a Quarterman cone, McIntyre pickup and a Maple?ebony tipped bridge. What are the main problems encountered when doing these procedures and how do I avoid them + any handy hints. Also were these '77 dobro's finnished with nitrocellulose laquer? And were the original nuts bone or plastic??
Any help much appreciated,
Thanks - Ian

Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 4:32 pm    

Ian,
My '82 OMI Dobro came with a plastic nut, maple bridge (no ebony caps), and a stamped cone. Like you, I wanted to improve its volume, tone and low-end response. Since I don't trust my own hands for fix-it jobs, I had Jim Yarboro in Gun Barrel City, TX replace all three (including a quarterman cone). Now it's louder and mics much better - a VAST improvement.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 8:24 am    

Not that tough Ian, if you get Paul Beards video from Resophonic Outfitters, he walks you through it. It's something every player should have because you'll get buzzes and changes in your guitar, if you travel much, and if you know how the engine works, you'll be more confident to always get the most out of it. I'll help you if you run into a problem but I know you can easily do it.

Ted

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 11:55 am    

I'll second Ted's post- the Beard video is really concise, well presented and informative, and geared to the stuff you can do att home to get the most out of a resophonic. Super highly recommended- I got my copy on ebay...

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro