The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Plastic Finger Picks
Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 6:30 pm    

I'm getting into playing National Steel bodied guitars (Tricones, etc). I understand plastic finger picks is the way to go. What's the best kind to get, and how do you shape them? I've heard about heating them--boiling water, or what?
Thanks, DD

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 5:10 am    

I used to use plastic after I saw Santo Farina use them. They gave great tone even when I had to scream on treble to override the loud crowds. I would place them in a cup of hot water, then put them on,shape them and then run cold water on them to set them. I haven't had plastic for ages as they break very easy and I could not find anymore. I do not see any reason to use plastic on a tri cone, The nationals and dunlaps do just as well IMHO.

------------------

Mikel Nelson

San Diego, CA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 8:47 am    

I'm assuming that your interest in the plastic finger picks is from the Brozman Hawaiian video....

I've had several lessons with Mr. Brozman, and he loves plastic finger picks. He likes the leverage he gets from them...he has them sticking straight out quite a ways on each finger. I tried to convert but could never find picks that worked for me (Dunlop is about the only supplier). So I went back to my metal finger picks...happy ever since. ( I only worry about my wood guitars )

(If you want to converse with Mr. Brozman, try this forum: www.guitarseminars.com and go to the Guitar Forum).