The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Guitar Mechanics Video
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 5:27 pm    

Why do you think I got this??????...Im thinking Buck Reid and I will do just that as a team!!>.

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 5:35 pm    

Is that a Yamaha Virago ?

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 7:23 pm    

Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 7:34 pm    

One pedal, three levers.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 8:57 pm    

Well sorry to dissent. I think a Cnote is a bit steep for your average steel player in these times. We don't have no fancy bikes or RVs. I mean, the rest of us. I really think you'd make a lot more off the production and actually help several times more people by making it accessible. Oh say $35 or $40. Heck I might even buy one. Very useful. Otherwise I guess I'll get by like always. Again, sorry to dissent but that's just my honest feedback. I think some people have an idea & think "man if I sell 50 that'll be $5000. Worldwide I'll probably sell 400 the first month--$40,000.....etc." I don't think production is THAT expensive these days and frankly I'm just ever so slightly offended. Think of all those wonderful Jeff Newman tapes that taught us all so much. He did pretty well with them but what did they cost? Everyone could buy them & still feed their kids. Of course if your just targeting the retiree hobbyist market, more power to yuh. I don't mean to just be a ball of negativity but I hope you get my point. Now I see some incoming so I'll just duck outta here. But you did ask.----Scott
OOPs--oh I see this was all a spoof. Got Me!!

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 11:23 pm    

Scott, most people pay between @2000-$5000 for a steel guitar (not to mention vol pedal, amps, cords, bars etc.). Another "C-note" is a small price to pay to learn how to maintain, repair and optimally set one up. The price to ship a guitar to have some one else work on it (not including the actual repair charges) is probably pretty close to his asking price. Having built, rebuilt and repaired steel guitars since the mid 70's, I can tell you that the time involved to conceive, plan and execute a manual of this type is not insignificant.

Also, I don't see how you can insinuate that Mickey is in it for sheer profit. Check out the many free "YouTube" instructional videos he's produced and you'll find that he has been more than generous w/ his knowledge and time.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 11:43 pm    

Scott, I bet that, if Jeff had done a video of the scale and scope of Mickey's proposed project, in 2014 dollars, it'd probably cost the same $100. Remember we've not seen a new video from Jeff in nearly 20 years of inflation...

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 12:09 am    

Topic ideas, Mickey: raise helper springs, what they are, how to use them; what are return helpers (I actually don't know, bet I'm not alone)splits with screws or rods; how to remedy "over-cranked" pull rods; proper pedal height and how to adjust for that; how to assess whether your steel is the proper height for your body; the use of compensators; how and where to lubricate your steel, and how often to do it; best ways to clean strings; fastest way to change a set of strings; proper setup of the E9 second string half stop using string 9 lower to accomplish that. Get busy!

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 12:33 am    

Mickey
Why don't you write a script outline proposal (without details) which will end up in a "blue-print" plan for the whole complete project, which could be presented to the forum(s) with a poll for amendments.
That way you can set up a business plan because you can gauge the size of the project.

This would be better than starting somewhere and filming whatever you're doing. It would also avoid omissions.

You might want to create 3 DVDs: All Pull, Push Pull and Single Fingers. Each DVD could include a list of common mistakes and their fixes.

Just thinking out loud.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 7:27 am    

Mickey Adams wrote:
Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Up here in the Great Lakes, were only dreaming of scooter weather ♠️♥️♣️♦️!

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2014 7:51 am    

I have paid a heck of a lot more than a hundred bucks to send guitars to Mike Cass and Albert Johnson. Maybe a hundred is a lot but in the grand scope of things it is relatively small amount.You can just bet that this video will be well thought out and easy to understand.
I could write you a book on the so called experts who have screwed up more than one of my guitars before I learned to screw them up myself.
I consider myself pretty well up on my horns but still have a lot to learn.
The bottom line is , your guitar can be set up by you , the way it fits you the best. It really does make a difference in the way you play.
I hope the video can be encoded so it can't be copied...

Old Bud

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 4:06 pm    

Please let us know when its available Mickey. like you say its a small price to pay compared to shipping prices to day. it would cost me 180.00 to ship mine to you. one way and besides I get to learn how to do my own work on my own babies and keep them home.. Very Happy

Dylan Keating

Montreal QC
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 6:15 pm    

I would love a video like this.

Bruce Morrison

Panama City Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 6:39 pm    

I don't even have a PSG, and yet I'm already worried about having an instrument I can't maintain myself (always have been able to in the past with regular guitars and basses). I think that pricing it any lower, given the number of units that are likely to sell (relatively low), would be a mistake. I mean... I am as cheap as the next guy, but you have to support the people who are supporting you.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 6:25 am    

A couple of subjects for consideration:
stripping/cleaning a changer (and re-assembling)?
creating tunable splits by means of screws as well as rods.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 6:54 am    

I appreciate all of your input...I have finished the first two chapters.. Im afraid that it would be nearly impossible to cover ALL of the topics requested..This videos topic is re rodding, and reconfiguring. It is not a total tear down/rebuild video.. There just would be just too many things to cover for one disc. Im already at 42 minutes, and have not even gotten to the changer ratios/rodding portion of the video...

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 8:54 am    

Aw, Mickey, you're so kind being concerned that we would have to deal with too much info. It is true that we can get overwhelmed at times. But, I believe we could find it in our hearts to forgive you if you were to put out a 2 DVD set. It might take us a year to get through it, but, it would be worth the effort.

So, just keep on recording and don't worry about how long it ends up being. We'll just make the best of it.

Whoa! Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 9:06 am    

Looks like there may need to be a two part set of DVD's. Either a beginning and advanced or just a Part one basic maintenance/set up and Part two advanced re-rodding and assembly.

You could do a 4 DVD set and never cover everything everyone wants.

I think the price is reasonable given the time it takes to produce the videos, edit, copy and distribute.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 1:36 pm    

I have to commend you Mickey for being such a brave soul. Asking for an opinion on SGF after showing your play toys. Man the flamethrowers! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 5:36 pm    

Ive been a pilot for 30+ years Neils...I can assure you...PSG did not pay for these.. Cool Cool

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 7:35 pm    

For the kind of information your presenting I feel your price is very fair. I doubt I could ship my guitar to a qualified repair person for much less than that.

Tom

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 8:46 pm    

Keep us posted. I'll buy it.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 8:41 am    

For all the stuff Mickey has done for free on YouTube, and his God given gift for teaching and ability to get one to understand, I'm little surprised that anyone would begrudge or complain about him making a few bucks on something he didn't need to do... and whatever the cost of production and the time it takes to do it, the "risk" is all his...I'm sure there are others who could do this same type of thing, and perhaps one of them will, and maybe like Mickey's instruction video's on YouTube, they'll do that for free, but I won't be holding my breath...we tend to afford those things we really want and if I really want this I'll find the 100 bucks or ship my guitar to Mickey for a 100 bucks and see if I can talk him into videoing him working on it... Laughing Laughing Laughing , no really Mickey, maybe you'd do that for me. Very Happy
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 5:21 pm     Great idea

I think this would be a great product, something I could use. I can work on my steels, but not nearly as well as the best techs can, and for that reason, I've usually sent them out to the real gurus to get all I can out of my steel. I know any DVD alone can't replace the years of experience our top techs have, but it would be a great resource for most of us.

Mickey has been extremely generous with the teaching on the forum, I'd be inclined to support him, as I would to anyone else who does so much for us.

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2014 1:15 pm     Cd

Just curious, what's the status of the dvd?