The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is there a good Dobro pickup?
Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 3:56 pm    

The subject asks the question. Are there any suggestions, or is miking the answer?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 6:23 pm    

Many people are satisfied with the McIntyre pickups. I haven't used one myself, so I can't really say.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2000 6:53 pm    

I had a McIntire on my Sheerhorn when I got it. Very metalic, I took it off. Tried the Lace guitar type pickup, sounded like a lap steel. Tried the K&K Twin, not enough volume and sounded far away. Tried the Barcus Barry years ago, sort of fell into the areas of the others above. Tried a ATM 35 mic for a real open sound, feedback problems.

I used my Nashville amp because I need to hear what I was doing.

I talked to several folks in the pickup bussiness and the Dobro repair bussiness all agreed we are not there yet.

I am looking to present an accoutic sound of the instrument not a metalic lap steel sound.

The pickup needs to fit under the bridge on the spider, but the screw gets in the way. Turn the screw head down and recess it in the spider and maybe we will have a chance.

Welcome to the world of dobro

Larry Behm
Toll Free 877-752-0525

[This message was edited by Larry Behm on 08 November 2000 at 06:06 PM.]

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 7:11 am    

Another one to search for is a new design called "Pick Up The World" it is a contact transducer but not a piezo. I've tried them on a variety of instruments and like it alot and a customer just put one on a tricone I made for him.
He attached it to the T-bridge and reports very good results. This is a similar installation to that of a Dobro so it may work there too.

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 1:02 pm    

I've got a couple of Scheerhorns that have a dual mic/pickup system on them, and I am quite pleased with the sound.
One is a regular dodo style instrument, and it has a mcintyre and a small gooseneck externally mounted microphone. These two go out through a stereo jack, and in to a Rane AP-13. By dialing around, I get what I think is a good sound, not just an authentic dobro style sound, but also a big fat beefy sound that I can add different effects to.
The other instrument is one of his Acoustic_Electric dodos...This one has a mcintyre and a seymour duncan mini-humbucker. It connects to the Rane unit with the same stereo jack, and sounds REALLY cool. I can make it sound like a lap steel, or some other beefy, monster sound with whatever effect I want in it...everyone who hears it agrees that it is a very interesting sound, suitable for most any application...

------------------
Tab Tabscott
"Bud Carter is a demi-god"

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 5:19 am    

I've had pretty good success with the McIntyre pickup. *But* the tone changes drastically when using a preamp. I have to agree that it sounded a bit too much like a piezo pickup until I ran it through an LR Baggs preamp, which really brought the pickup to life.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 7:08 am    

No

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 10:57 am    

No?

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 2:09 pm    

Yes, no. I have tried most of the recommended pickups. I've got three pickups on my Dobro now, and I don't like any of them. I see a lot of guys who like the McIntyre for instance, but unless you enhance it with a lot of preamps, eq's, DI's or the like (stuff I don't care to tote around), they are no good (IMHO). Show me a good pickup that you can plug straight into the board or amp, produces a real Dobro tone, at a volume you can play in a live band, and I'll kiss your a$$. Actually, I would probably just buy the pickup instead.

Dennis Roger Reed

San Clemente, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 7:48 pm    

If you have a biscuit style instrument, then you can count on a Highlander. They sound just like the instrument, only louder.

Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 11:25 pm    

I play in a LOUD band in CLOSE quarters, where my monitor is just a couple feet away. This is "feedback city" to us Dobroists. Nevertheless, I've found along with my McIntyre "under the spider" pick-up, and a Sabine Feedback Exterminator, I have almost reached my goal of a natural, but loud sounding dobro. There are still a couple frequencies that the Sabine hasn't filtered out that cause feedback, but at some places I play it catches all the feedback. Good Unit.

I've tried many pick-ups, too, and this is the closest I've come to true dobro tones. My opinion, of course.

[This message was edited by Mark Krutke on 09 November 2000 at 11:26 PM.]

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 7:27 pm    

Well, so far I can say thanks for all the replies. That said, I'd like a few particulars. This McIntyre, is it the GT-001? Do you get those through the web-site? I do have a pick-up on my Dobro' but it's something I put in there about 15 years ago and I'm sure the technology has improved. What's the deal with the feedback eliminator? Sounds very interesting. What's the price on these items? Maybe one of you guys that doesn't like his McIntyre wants to part with it? Also what is a biscuit type?

Aaron Balano

San Anselmo, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 4:25 pm    

I agree with Tab on this. I also use a McIntyre p/u and mic combination run through a Rane preamp on my Scheerhorn. The sound is as close to acoustic as you can get. I've tried alot of pick ups and mics and this is the only way to go. I play in bands with elctric guitars and drums and have no problems with volume, tone, or feedback. Sure, you have to lug around a very small preamp, but it's well worth the effort. There is no substitution.

Jim West

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 4:32 pm    

I am getting ready to amplify my Dobro and I'm looking for a pickup to do the job. But one of the things I learned awhile back was you can't just look at the pickup to do the job, you need to have a good preamp to go with it.

I have a Rane AP13 on my acoustic guitar that was ok and did a good job and I was satisfied for a few years. I noticed that a lot of pro players were using Pendulum SPS-1 preamps http://www.pendulumaudio.com/ for their acoustics. I finally went out and purchased one a couple of months ago and after not too long I got sounds out of my guitar that were never heard before. The Pendulum is not cheap ($1200) but it is a pro piece of equipment. It allows you total control over what your pickup is outputting. The preamp is definetly something to consider if your looking at getting the most out of your pickup system.

Now I know why recording studios spend a lot of money on preamp collections for their high end mics.

Jim West

[This message was edited by Jim West on 13 November 2000 at 04:34 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jim West on 13 November 2000 at 04:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jim West on 14 November 2000 at 08:05 AM.]

Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 11:26 am    

Has anyone tried using a Roland GP-100 to preamp a dobro pickup? I use a GP-100 for steel and I am looking for a good pickup for my dobro and thought that maybe the GP-100 could handle it if I could find the right settings.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064
The Tyler Wails Band
www.geocities.com/tylerwails

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 6:13 pm    

Besides the McIntyre pickup, I also use a microphone for more realistic situations where volume isn't the main concern. It's the Audio Technica ATM 35. It has a small little 4" gooseneck that can clamp right to the cover plate. Excellent response but needs to be run in a PA for optimum signal quality.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 8:15 am    

Dennis, can you elaborate on a Highlander bisquit instrument?

Mikel Nelson

San Diego, CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 8:30 am    

I recommend Highlander pickups.
www.highlanderpickups.com

Bernard Beck

Paris France
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 2:32 pm    

Here is what I did to amplify my dobro :
I put in a SHADOW pick up which I got from the dobro factory in Huntington Beach Ca.
Then , the solution came from the amp rather then the pickup.
I use a MARSHALL ELECTROACOUTIC SOLOIST (80 w) tuning the 2 antifeedback all the way up and ATTACK knob all the way down.
Well there is my good old dobro sound well amplified !