The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microsoft to end support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 9:04 pm    

There are now 364 days until all official support ends for Windows XP. This means that after April 8, 2014, there will be no further patches, fixes or updates for XP computers.

If history holds true again, most software companies will stop supporting XP operating systems after that date. This includes anti-virus programs many of you depend on to help keep your computers secure.

What this means for You

After the last batch of Windows Updates are released, on Patch Tuesday in April (or possibly as early as March) of 2014, anybody keeping an XP computer connected to the Internet will be easy prey for new malware threats and zero day exploits. It also means the the supply of hardware drivers will dry up from normal channels.

What you should do now

Prepare to transition to a newer Windows operating system, such as Windows 7 or 8. These OSes provide methods of collecting/exporting your personal files and some settings and importing them into a newer computer. Begin looking for upgrades for software that is important to you, which was written for XP. Some of those programs may run using Windows XP Compatibility Mode. Others won't work at all.

Some hardware and peripherals will fail to function properly, or at all, under Windows 8. Consider moving to Windows 7, which is much friendlier to XP peripherals (but not 100%). Read product reviews for your equipment, or run the Windows 7 or 8 Upgrade Advisor, from Microsoft, to see what hardware and software will not carry over.

How you can stay connected and protected with an XP PC, after 4/2014

Apply all available patches and updates, especially upgrades for Internet Explorer. If you currently operate as a XP Computer Administrator, demote your privileges to a Limited User. You'll need to first create a new Administrator level account, with a strong password. Log into that account to set it up with a desktop and icons. Then go to Control Panel > User Accounts and locate your other account. Then demote the account to a Limited User. Next time you log onto that account, you will not be able to perform updates that affect the operating system, or Program Files directories.

There are work-arounds to the limitations of running as a Limited, or Power User, in XP. I have a web page outlining the methods you will need to get up to speed with to operate in this safer user environment, with reduced user privileges.

Finally, if you only use your XP computer to play offline games, do paperwork, keep records, or operate a digital recording studio, keep it offline. If you plug external media devices into this computer, they need to be scanned for embedded malware, either on another PC that has a modern, up to date malware scanner, or with whatever security program is still running on the XP computer.

As XP goes away, so will the supply of replacement parts and motherboards that were built for it. Always expect the unexpected to happen to your hard drive and run backups of your valuable data files and installation files, as well as activation codes and licenses. Save these to an external thumb drive, or a second hard drive, or a USB hard drive, or a SSD.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 14 Jan 2020 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 11:45 am    

Thank you so much for your advice, Wiz.

Can this post be made a Sticky with updates?

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 6:54 pm    

Wiz, my main computer here is Windows 7 professional. I have a section called X86 that takes XP programs. Will I have problems with this after XP goes away?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 7:54 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
Wiz, my main computer here is Windows 7 professional. I have a section called X86 that takes XP programs. Will I have problems with this after XP goes away?

No. You are still entitled to Windows Updates for your actual OS: Windows 7. You are just running XP programs in a compatibility mode, not booting into XP at all.

The end of support is for computers that boot into Windows XP as an actual, stand alone operating system.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 8:34 pm    

I guess what you are saying is 3 other desktops and a laptop I have that run XP have to be changed or kept off the internet.

I suppose it's progress but that could get expensive, if they can even be changed to Win 7. Perhaps it's time to look at some other operating systems.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 10:10 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
I guess what you are saying is 3 other desktops and a laptop I have that run XP have to be changed or kept off the internet.

I suppose it's progress but that could get expensive, if they can even be changed to Win 7. Perhaps it's time to look at some other operating systems.

You could try to install Ubuntu Linux on these computers for free. Ubuntu ships with Firefox, plus an email client, plus a variety of media players and graphics editors. Home networking with Ubuntu can be a bitch though. All kinds of software is available for Ubuntu and it has its own built-in software installer and updater.

Also, Google makes a laptop that runs on its Chrome browser and Linux.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 8:03 am    

A note on the Linux variants, check the hardware requirements. As a ham radio operator, I and other hams experiment with Puppy Linux on a bootable thumb drive. The very latest versions of Puppy will absolutely fry the processor in an older laptop.

I do agree that Linux is a great way to go for most people, especially since Ubuntu now has the single and double left clicks like Windows. It does become harder for people like us ham operators where most software is written in Windows, but Linux writers are catching up quickly!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 8:51 am    

I was thinking of eventually using Puppy Linux on a bootable and using that only to go online, and leaving my old Dell 8300
in XP. If I need a new processor for that, I might as well upgrade my whole system to take Win 7.

That way, when they finally get Win 8 to a workable system
I can upgrade to that.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2013 9:45 am    

The older Puppy's work great for older machines, just the ones released this year and last were processor hogs.

If you stick with Precise, Racy, & Wary Puppy, you will be OK. Watch out for Slacko & Lucid/Lupu.

I use mine on the thumb drive anytime I am out of town at a motel or something. Much more secure that Windoze.

As for networking in a home setting, wired is very easy to set up. I use a network switch and share the Internet connection through the first machine. Wireless can be problematic.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2013 8:36 am     Direct Quote From Microsoft

For all those who use and/or intend to use the virtual XP mode. However, Win 8 does not support XP virtual mode.

Windows XP Mode follows the same support lifecycle as Windows XP—extended support will end April 8, 2014. For more info, see the Windows lifecycle fact sheet.

Doubt this? See the following:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 7:39 am    

Perhaps windoze thinks folks no longer use some programs that were XP; and to upgrade would cost a fortune for some of us.
It seems to me they don't care, and don't want to take the trouble to support older programs. That will drive some of us
away from windoze and to other Operating Programs.

I guess they don't care about that either.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 8:54 am    

Ken Lang wrote:
Perhaps windoze thinks folks no longer use some programs that were XP; and to upgrade would cost a fortune for some of us.
It seems to me they don't care, and don't want to take the trouble to support older programs. That will drive some of us
away from windoze and to other Operating Programs.

I guess they don't care about that either.

Other operating systems may not be able to run your audio-video programs due to hardware limitations, or lack of driver support.

My advice, at this time is, if you have vital software applications that only operate on Windows XP, prepare to take those computers offline on April 9, 2014. First, equip them with an anti-virus, or anti-spyware program which allows you to download updates to a thumb drive and install them from it, and which will continue to run on XP.

Of course, one must ensure that the thumb drive itself is not infected!

Also, purchase or borrow a Windows 7 computer and try to install your software into it, using XP Compatibility if necessary. Search for updated hardware device drivers, if they are required.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 9:46 am    

What are some of the programs that will only run on Xp?

If I upgrade to Win7 (too much bad press from people I know and what I read to get me to upgrade to Win8), will I still be able to run my older programs. By the way, all the programs I have on this Xp computer, also run with no glitches on my Win7 laptop. Maybe I am just lucky on my choice of software.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 10:22 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
What are some of the programs that will only run on Xp?

If I upgrade to Win7 (too much bad press from people I know and what I read to get me to upgrade to Win8), will I still be able to run my older programs. By the way, all the programs I have on this Xp computer, also run with no glitches on my Win7 laptop. Maybe I am just lucky on my choice of software.

If the only problems relate to directory structures and permissions, your programs should install and run on Windows 7. If there is a problem installing an XP program, try right-clicking on the setup file and selecting Troubleshoot Compatibility. A box will ask a few questions and offer different modes of installation. Try them until one works.

If a program seems to install, but fails to run properly, right-click on the shortcut icon or Start Menu link and choose (left click) Properties. Under Properties, click on Compatibility, then choose the previous version of Windows under which it did work. You might even have to check the box to run it with administrator privileges. Apply the changes and try launching the program again, this time via that link.

In some cases, a direct interaction with the hardware layer was required, when it ran under XP. This interaction may now be off-limits under Windows 7+. Unless there is an updated driver available from the manufacturer of that device, it probably will not function properly under Win7.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 1:47 pm    

My hardware passed the compatibility program that you can download from Microsoft. I believe it said I had to update a couple drivers but that updates for them were available. When I get to feeling better and can handle stress a little better, I am going to attempt the upgrade to Win7. That would fall into the category that my doctors say to avoid right now.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 7:25 pm    

I hope you get to feeling better soon Richard.

Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2013 7:58 pm     thank you

Wiz, you are the Wiz

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2014 1:02 pm    

I have a laptop with windows 7 and my desktop is XP. I have read some articles which say Windows 7 will also lose support in April 2015. Would it be advisable to take the desktop to a computer service to have these things you have mentioned in the previous posts taken care of? Unfortunatlely I am still on dial up and to download takes days.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2014 1:54 pm    

Harold Dye wrote:
I have a laptop with windows 7 and my desktop is XP. I have read some articles which say Windows 7 will also lose support in April 2015. Would it be advisable to take the desktop to a computer service to have these things you have mentioned in the previous posts taken care of? Unfortunatlely I am still on dial up and to download takes days.

Actually, the Microsoft lifecyle page shows the following, for Windows 7 support.

Windows 7 with Service Pack 1:

Mainstream Support ends on: January 13, 2015

Extended Support ends on January 14, 2020

Extended support still provides security fixes and patches at no cost, but not hot-fixes or any free phone support. The differences between mainstream and extended support are shown here.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2014 4:06 pm    

If we have to deal with this same garbage a year from now, if windows is stopping support for win 7 in 2015 then goodbye any form of windows. They will have jerked us around enough.

I don't think windows will end support then, but if they do, it will be goodbye, even if it means then the end of my participation with windows. Period.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2014 7:52 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
If we have to deal with this same garbage a year from now, if windows is stopping support for win 7 in 2015 then goodbye any form of windows. They will have jerked us around enough.

I don't think windows will end support then, but if they do, it will be goodbye, even if it means then the end of my participation with windows. Period.

2020, not 2015, which is just the end for mainstream support. XP is in extended support and until April this year, users still get patches and updates. Windows 7 will receive updates and patches until 2020.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2014 7:16 am    

Cool. I presume it's a good idea to fire up the XP's around April 1st and get the latest up dates. The question would be why, if they are never going to be on the Internet again?

The second question is: I have 2 computers in NY, both XP. Can I put the XP updates on a thumb drive to update when I get there in May of 2014?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2014 2:59 pm    

I am just now seeing that MS will continue its support for XP for another year until 7/15 because a vast majority of bank ATMs rely on it. It is not clear to me if this is an across the board extension for general consumer computers or just for this industry application.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2014 10:23 pm     Starting March 8, XP will show popup end of support message

Microsoft wants XP users to really know that they mean it when they say support for Windows XP ends on April 8, 2014. Beginning Saturday, March8, 2014, computers running XP home or Professional will receive a pushed out message that will display a notice on the desktop. The notice tells users that on April 8, all support for XP ends. They go on to offer upgrade suggestions. There is a checkbox to turn off further notifications.

Read about this XP expiration popup here.

Be on the lookout for the purveyors of fake security programs to mimic the official end of support notices, but with dangerous links.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2014 7:20 am    

Wiz. I have an xp computer here that I plan to upgrade the xp stuff before Mar 8. I don't use it, but might as well get it up to the latest xp.

I also have an xp computer in New York that I won't get to till May. Do you know if I can save xp upgrades on a thumb drive to use for that. I don't intend to use any xp computers for internet.