The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Dobro sound for Hawaiian music
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 7:01 pm    

I just bought a cd that I'd been thinking about for awhile, "Hawaiian Touch" by Barney Isaacs and George Kuo. My curiosity finally got the best of me with that cover shot detail of Barney playing a Dobro. I have been collecting vintage Hawaiian compilations and even original 78's when I can find them. Before this, the only instance of recorded Dobro by a Hawaiian group that I have heard is by the Coral Islanders from 1932. Anyway, I think that it's a gorgeous sound for Hawaiian, and as an electric player toying with the idea of getting some kind of acoustic guitar for Hawaiian playing, the dobro seems like a very viable, if untraditional choice. I was just wondering what the other forumites think of the Dobro for Hawaiian music.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2000 11:33 pm    

I have an old 1932 Dobro and have never played any other kind of music on it other than Hawaiian. Love the sound. Sadly, I only play it for my own amazement as the Hawaiian gigs I play require the electric. However, this past summer I did manage to play two "walk-around" Hawaiian gigs with the Dobro which was really fun...(uke, Dobro, r/guitar with singing). For these gigs I used the E7th tuning.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 10 November 2000 at 11:35 PM.]

Dr. Ike

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 2:46 am    

Aloha George, Kind of interesting this topic came up, I have to play tomorrow night at the Halekulani (Waikiki)upstairs in the ballroom. No sound system. I have an old Morrell (Asian)single cone that I will be using instead of my Tricone(1930). The Tricone developed a deadness in the first string. Hope the crowd doesn't mind, but it will have to do. Isaac

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 5:45 am    

Many,many oldtimers used a dobro so they could be heard over other acoustics in the band. I, like Keoki use a dobro for hawaiian for the "strolling" gigs.

------------------

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 7:15 am    

I have a 1931 National Duolian, single cone, crinkle finish steel guitar. Just this week I put C6 gauge strings on it. Yes, it's fun but the sustain that I'm used to on the electric is not there (obviously). One thing I noticed though is that if I slacken the strings and go to, say a G tuning (GBDGBD) the sustain and tone are a bit better. What I really want is a Tricone (yeah that's it! New gear will definitely improve my playing )

I just got an email from the Beltona (New Zealand) steel guitar folks. They produce a steel bodied TriCone with a hollow neck for $3200 US dollars. The Johnson company is coming out with a TriCone soon. I tried the new National TriCones and was not really impressed (set up for standard guitar playing, so not really a good test).

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 11 November 2000 at 07:23 AM.]