The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12" Eminence Cannabis Rex Speaker for Pedal Steel?
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2013 11:40 am    

Anyone have a chance to try this? The specs look like it might work well and with a claimed sensitivity of 102 db it's seemingly the most efficient speaker being made at the moment. Even better you can get them from (of all places) Amazon for ~$75.00 with free shipping. Looks like a pair of them would work in a Twin. I was hoping someone might have had the chance to try them out with pedal steel.
http://www.usspeaker.com/Cannabis%20Rex-1.htm

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2013 2:24 pm    

Never used one, but just looking at the curves, that's a really scary-sharp peak between 2k and 5k. I'd guess that speaker's gonna have tons of highs, and likely some noticable breakup. Confused

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2013 3:17 pm    

Donny I noticed that too but nearly every review I've come across claims no shrill highs at all and in fact very sweet highs. Some say it's too dark sounding. Of course these are guitar players. Look at the sizable dip just before that peak. I think you would have to actually try it to know in this case but that was my first question as well. It uses what to must of us is a huge unknown and that is a cone made from hemp like tone tubby speakers. Break up - early or late -
is another question.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2013 8:51 pm    

I have one of these speakers in a Fender Blues Junior and I think it sounds great! I replaced the stock Jensen with it. Nice, warm, and clean to 30 watts.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 6:41 am    

Thanks Randy. Would that happen to be the same Blues Junior you used when you did the Marty Show with Lee Ann Womack? You sounded great as always.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 7:43 am    

Yes, same amp. It may be small but it's mighty. Smile

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 7:53 am    

Thanks again Randy! I am seriously thinking of a pair of these for my Dual Showman head.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 9:49 am    

Gary,

I also have this speaker in a modified Blues Junior (30 watts)and it does sound great. Very warm and never shrill. The one caution I might add is it did take a while for the thing to break in. I almost took it out right away but after a good break in period it opened up and now sounds fantastic. I think it would work very well in Twin.

Best,

Gary

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 9:54 am    

You may be better off with the EPS-12c that was specifically designed for steel. Either way email me for a special Forum price. I am an Eminence dealer.
Hatton Cases www.hattoncases.net

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2013 10:01 pm    

I just put a Tone Tubby (hemp cone) that I got from b0b, a couple weeks ago, in a Vox AC15. It had a Celestion Greenback in it, but the Tone Tubby gave it a better bottom end, and far less screechy high end. I love it. Maybe the hemp cone is a little thicker and stiffer.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2013 10:40 am    

nothing says 'sweet highs' like a hemp cone speaker.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2013 6:41 pm    

I got a pair today from Kevin Hatton (Thanks Kevin!) and my first impressions are good. With no break in the bottom is great. Mid-range seems smooth and warm. Highs are all there but no shrillness. I was concerned about the highs but I have to say my first impression is that the highs are exceptional sweet especially considering it's a pretty bright sound. I'm looking forward to having them broken in. At $75.00 they are a "stone" bargain. (Obligatory hemp joke)

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2013 4:22 am    

I have a cannibis rex on the way, for a Vox AC15 vr. I use this amp for gigs where a second amp is needed for guitar as opposed to switching back and forth on one amp. This amp comes stock with a Celestion speaker that is really lacking on the low end and has ice pick highs. I practiced steel using the amp yesterday and have to say it sounded terrible. It will be interesting to see what the amp sounds like, especially with psg, with the speaker change. I'll report back next week.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2013 7:09 am    

I have a Cannabis Rex in a 2x12 cabinet paired with another Eminence speaker, the Red White and Blues. I also have the EPS-12C in a 1x12 cabinet. I like both cabinets, but they are very different. The EPS-12C is voiced for pedal steel and sounds great. The 2x12 cabinet also gives me good sound for pedal steel, but it's got more of the mid-range fat guitar thing going. I love the way it sounds when I drive it with tubes.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 2:35 pm    

I have a 12" Tone Tubby in a small Mesa open back cab with a Mesa Transatlantic 5/15/25 watt head for lap steel. Very inspiring on the 15 watt setting.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2013 4:52 am    

Not great for steel in the vox ac15vr. I would, however, not condemn the speaker as this amp is not exactly what one might choose to use for steel in the first place. Real nice for guitar .