The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on 1st Steel
Randy Stiefel

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 6:14 pm    

Can anyone give me some input on a Melobar SLS-S versus the other products made by Smith Family Music. Also would like to hear about other brands that stand up in quality that are 6 string lap steels.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2000 2:52 pm    

Randy:
I'm presently waiting delivery of a Supersteel. It should arrive any day now, and when it does I'll post a review. I haven't had a chance to play one before, but Ted Smith's recommendation is good enough for me. As for the SLS - fabulous guitar! I know that the Sierra and some other current lap steels are well spoken of, but I frankly can't imagine how anything could top the SLS's combination of sound and finishing detail for such a reasonable price. The CC-8
is also a first-rate instrument, if you're in the market for an eight-string. The Rattler is a decent guitar too, but for a few dollars extra you get a much better instrument with the SLS.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 4:53 am    

Randy -- I haven't played any of the others, but I have a 6 string LS (pre-SLS)model that is just incredible -- great tone and sustain, stays in tune, looks sharp. And, oh yeah, didn't cost an arm and a leg (or even just an arm). I couldn't be happier.

Call or e-mail Ted and discuss what you need -- I spoke with him a couple of times before I bought, and he explained what to look for in a steel and what I should expect. Good luck and let us know how your search is going.

PJJ

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 5:31 pm    

Randy: Further to what Peter said, Ted is extremely helpful. The Melobar demonstration video includes detailed descriptions of all their guitars.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2000 11:18 am    

I've just recently gotten an SLS and I absolutely love it. The pick-up is fabulous: great tone, pushes your overdrive if you're going for that sound, gives a big fat clean sound if you'd rather have that, and noiseless when you're not playing. And for the money, you can't go wrong with a Melobar.

Gary Geers

Berthoud, CO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2000 1:47 pm    

The CC8 is a top-notch 8-string lap steel; beautiful design, sound and finish - always get nice comments wherever I take it. And considering the price, it can't be beat.