The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel Amp: Quilter Labs Steelaire
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 11:01 am    

One more new steel amp:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19508-summer-namm-13---quilter-labs-steelaire-demo

The Quilter Amps are high powered 200 watts light weight solid state amps and Patrick Quilter is also a steel guitar player Smile

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 4:24 am    

It would have been nice to have a pedal steel playing on the NAAM demo instead of some guy banging away on a distorted Tele. (Oops! There I go...being critical again. Rolling Eyes )

Of course, I kinda suspect that pedal steels are mighty rare at the NAAM shows. Laughing

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 10:18 am    

really a missed chance........
('Whoa!')JJ

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 4:29 pm    

Apparantly NAMM is not a steel guitarist's natural habitat. Cool looking amp, though. I'd like to hear it.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 11:07 pm    

In Europe we have the Frankfurter Mess in Germany, you can compare that with the NAMM. To rent a boot or table there is very expensive, so it keeps away the steelguitarmanufacturers and small amp-builders, and also the steelplayers....
JJ

Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2013 3:42 am    

I hope we have a chance to check out the steelaire in Europe.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2013 7:59 am    

Thomas, they have a European distributor, and also all their amps run on 100-240 volts. Now that is clever! Details on their website.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2013 8:39 am    

Here's a direct link to the youtube video (my browser isn't liking the premier guitar link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-susRlHJUtI

Of course, it only makes sense to demo a steel amp with steel and not distorted guitar. But this clip (I assume produced by Premier Guitar) was clearly aimed at Premier Guitar's audience - emphatically guitar, not steel players. To reach a wider audience, they reasonably want to add features to interest guitar players, who obviously outnumber steel players by a wide margin.

Note that there is a short snippet (from about 0:10 to 0:20) of clean, staccato Tele playing on this clip. Still, I couldn't tell much about how this amp would work for me, for either guitar or steel, from just this clip. I need to hear a wide range of the amp reacts to both guitar and steel in clean or subtly saturated modes (I assume saturation is modeled?) to know whether it's interesting or not.

I assume we'll hear lots more as they get closer to launch. Here's a thread (posted in For Sale: Amps and Accessories, not Electronics) about these amps - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=250755 - including replies from the CEO of Quilter.