The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I saw Biller & Wakefield by mistake!!
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 6:46 am    

So I go to Schuba's tavern in Chicago to see my friend play a set. As I walk in, I see a Rickenbacker D-8 on the stage. I ask my friend, who's is that? He said the band playing after him is a western swing band, and oh, the steel player is really good. After my friend's set, Dave Stuckey and his band come on stage. Lo and behold, Biller & Wakefield take the stage and tear the place up. I had no idea they were playing in Chicago that night. Great, great, great, great show!!! Jeremy Wakefield makes it all look so easy. Playing a Rick double 8 through an Americana amp. Smooth tone with a touch of natural overdrive. Beeeeyootiful!

Oh, did I mention the show was great??

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 7:37 am    

nnvv

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 7:44 am    

Hey Mike, I'm in Baja Piedmont - when and where in the SF Bay Area ?

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 3:21 am    

same thing, almost: I saw them with Wayne Hancock. Nice surprise
And isn't Schubas great? I've played there a few times - what's your friend's band called?

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 4:47 am    

Iain--my friend's name is Dave Ramont (no band name). He's a singer/songwriter (and guitarist) from St Charles. He played that night at Schuba's with Dave Nelson (bottleneck style Dobro, acoustic gtr, dulcimer). It was a great set.

Dave recorded his third album a little while back, and I contributed a lap steel part to one song, called "Rodeo Clown." That album is called "Scrawny." It should be available at Tower Records (local music section, I believe), if you're interested.

I've also played Schuba's a few times with a singer/songwriter named Karen Anderson. We'll be playing at the Abbey Pub on Oct 14th, opening for Antje. No steel, I only play standard lead guitar with Karen (for now).

[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 06 September 2000 at 05:49 AM.]

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 7:40 am    

vcc

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 8:11 am    

Mike, the band also included Billy(?) Horton on upright bass, and a drummer whose name I didn't catch.

Dave Biller was playing a beautiful vintage Gibson L7 through an old Fender tweed amp that looked kinda like a TV console (big, beat-up square-shaped thing). Awesome tone, fat and mellow.

The drummer's kick drum was as big as my living room. I don't think the soundman put it through the PA. The huge thump came right off the stage and filled the room!! He played a ancient-looking 4-piece kit, with his snare tilted toward the audience, if that helps anyone identify the drummer. The kit MIGHT have been a Slingerland. The cymbals were mounted on stands coming straight up off the kick drum shell. It looked like old Slingerland hardware, anyway.

Stuckey gave Biller & Wakefield some featured tunes off their Hot Guitars cd (Wandering Texan was one of the tunes), and Horton sang Cattin' Around. Jeremy Wakefield sang a few tunes. He's got a great voice; I had no idea he was a singer.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 11:13 am    

Ok folks living in and around Austin. Here is a little secret. Dave(Biller) and Jeremy(Wakefield) will be sittin' in with a friend (T. Jarod) at Ginnys' little longhorn on Burnet road tonight(Wed.)
Ricky

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 12:04 pm    

"Cattin around", the old Charlie Adams tune ??? That must have been something !!
Mike, I played the 23 Club before, it's a great place. I wish I could be there, defintely the right stage for that kind of music!

Andy

[This message was edited by Tele on 06 September 2000 at 02:26 PM.]

Steve Honum

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 2:37 pm    

Dave Stuckey is supposed to be playing at the Culver Saloon in L.A.tomorrow night (Wed.9/20 Does anyone know if Biller and Wakefield are in the lineup?
Hare Mae,
Steve Honunu

[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 19 September 2000 at 03:40 PM.]

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 5:56 pm    

As far as I know, yup!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 8:17 pm    

I just talked to Dave Biller yesterday and he was headin' that way; so I believe it sounds highly probable to have that killer combo in there with Stuckey>ya'll have fun.
Ricky