The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marshall Lytle/ Tommy Page passes
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2013 6:28 pm    

Marshall Lytle a.k.a. Tommy Page who played bass with Bill Haley and the Comets has passed away in Florida. He replaced Al Rex as the Comets' bass player and was known for his acrobatic stunts with an upright bass like riding it like a horse and throwing it in the air. He first started with Haley when the group was known as The Saddlemen, but later changed the name when they started doing rock and roll to Bill Haley and the Comets. He recorded every song Haley and the Comets did from 1951-1955, including the famous "Rock Around The Clock", and co-authored the song "Crazy Man Crazy" although he didn't get credit for authorship til 2002. He left Haley and formed his own group and was replaced by Al Rex whom he had replaced. No other details are known concerning funeral arrangements, etc. at this time. Rock on Marshall/Tommy, rock on.

Ken Newman

maitland, Florida, /desmoines,ia
Post  Posted 26 May 2013 3:21 pm    

rest in peace marsh, enjoyed the pickin' sessions and visiting 'bill fisher' . you have some folks and fans that will not forget you. remember, it is not 'what' you play, it is 'how you deliver it'.

RIP MARSHALL LYTLE , there was a whole lot more in this man's life than slapping a signature standup bass. never got over being crazy serious about doing something to better himself but still wanted to keep a boot grounded in bill haley, course that fell apart when salary became an issue, [off to the jodimars] and a name change, over to 'tommy' something. about 1988 he called and was looking for bookings, '''ty heston''' had given marshall my number. small world. was it tommy page? yes page. wait a minute, who in the helck is ty heston? inquired moi..... oh, that's Charlie Hess , chuck had formerly played with the jodimars [and earlier the sleepy hollow gang until Danny and Kenny were big enough to sling les paul's]. finally, in around 1989 had to remind MARSHALL , it was BILL HALEY and the saddlemen and it is BILL HALEY and the comets. called him another chester cowboy with a song in his heart, but it was not 'home on the range'. he just laughed and told me he has a friend that could fix me up with a hairpiece...[inside joke] , but the truth! [danny, my regards to all, especially steeler, Billy Williamson and rock jazz guitarist Franny Beecher if you see them]. precious memories, stay tuned, kennyx