The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rhythm Tracks For Nearly Any Song You Want
Dave Stewart

Pensacola
Post  Posted 16 May 2013 11:22 am    

I want to share with everyone a wonderful program that I use for backing tracks called AV MUSIC MORPHER GOLD. The program allows you to remove the singer from nearly any song. It basically removes the middle range of the sound spectrum, which is also where the steel guitar usually is. So the program also works great to remove the steel guitar on most songs.

I first try the section of the program that extracts the singer. There's a few different options available in the software. If that doesn't work, there's a graphic equalizer in the lower right hand corner that I enable, and then manually adjust the song to my liking. I usually remove the middle frequencies. I've learned to be careful with the bass, because too much bass distorts when played back later. When done, I play the song from AV MUSIC MORPHER GOLD and record it with MIXCRAFT.

Here's a nice gospel song that I recently recorded with MIXCRAFT and the LEXICON unit interface. I HAVE BEEN BLESSED.

MIXCRAFT is a multi-track software recording studio, which has many nice features. The basic edition of the software doesn't have any effects. The "studio pro" edition allows you to add effects like reverb during and/or after recording. You can also play Band-In-A-Box songs and record them with MIXCRAFT. Any sound that can be played on your computer can be recorded by MIXCRAFT. However, I had to install a 1/8 inch stereo jumper cable (Radio Shack) from the "line out" to the "microphone in" on back of my computer to get it to record. You might have to do the same.

DETAILED INFORMATION ON HOW TO USE MIXCRAFT.

Once you morph the song with AV MUSIC MORPHER GOLD, then you can change the key or tempo with MIXCRAFT. You can either open or record any song into MIXCRAFT, which is an awesome program in my opinion. When finished, you can mix the song down to an MP3, WAV, OGG or WMA file. Once you purchase MIXCRAFT, you own it for life. I was surprised when my computer crashed and I contacted the company. They said I never have to pay for the program again (but you have to pay for upgrades to newer versions). For many years I avoided learning a lot of songs simply because I didn't have any rhythm tracks. Band-In-A-Box works great for some songs, but not so great for others. Now you can play along with the original tracks to your favorite songs.

Depending on how the original song was recorded, AV MUSIC MORPHER GOLD works great on some songs and not so great on others, but I have really been pleased overall with the program's ability. You can obtain rhythm tracks of original songs that you've always wanted to play along with. The program is 95% effective on some songs and doesn't work at all on others. For me, I'd say about 75% of the songs I've morphed come out really nice. Most of Jimmy Day's steel guitar recordings work well and sound great when done, providing 90% near original backing tracks.

I use a LEXICON interface to input my steel guitar via a USB port on my computer. You enable the Lexicon port from within the MIXCRAFT software. The LEXICON unit is self-powered by the USB port and comes with a software CD to install the drivers. The LEXICON has worked good for me, but their are several other nice ones too, like TASCAM. I paid around $40 for my LEXICON. I listen through the headphones plugged into the LEXICON while recording. I use the "Pre Amp Out" on back of my Peavey Nashville 112 and go stright into the LEXICON 1/4 inch jack INPUT. That's how I record.

Here is one example of how AV MUSIC MORPHER GOLD can be used to remove the steel guitar from a song. This is Jerry Byrd's "Lovely Hula Hands." I chose this song because it shows how nice some of the songs can come out. You can still hear the bright backing sounds, some singing and clear rhythm, but the steel guitar is virtually removed. I know many of you home musicians (like myself) will really appreciate this information, because I was happy to learn about this stuff after so many years of working with inferior tracks. It's far from perfect, and a bit garbled at times (depending on the song and filters used in the program), but for playing along at the beach, or the nursing home, or a backyard barbeque or at church it is a big blessing.

LOVELY HULA HANDS BACKING TRACK.

God bless and enjoy!

Tom Mooney

Arlington, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2013 2:23 pm     Rhythm tracks

Hey Dave, have a question. I looked at the Mixcraft and AV Music Morpher Gold software on line, and the website offered them "free". I'm leery of anything offered "free". Is that really the case? Your post is really interesting if it works as described. Also, would there be any copyright issues by doing this? Thanks a lot.
Tom Mooney