The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oregon: Portland area Steel Guitar learning and Practice Jam
Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 3:42 pm    

I Am starting a new post for the long-running Portland steel Jam that I have held for several years now. We will be meeting at my place this Tuesday April 30 at 7 PM. We will discuss a few new ideas for the Jam, and hopefully play some music and generally have fun. Hope to see everyone then.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2013 4:13 pm    

Here are a few Photos of some our past Jams Just to get things started.

Hope to have more to post soon.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2013 1:58 pm    

Last nights jam was a great success again, great thanks to all who attended. We have discussed some new ideas on how to make the jam better for everyone in the future. We truly want everyone who attends to have a good time, learn some new music licks, and be able to play music in a relaxed and positive environment. If there are any issues that arise at the jam that makes anyone feel uncomfortable I want these issues to be immediately addressed and resolved at that time. If we need to adjust tuning, volume, tone, temperature, seating positions, or whatever please make your wishes known and we will do everything we can to make sure that this is a pleasant experience for everyone. I truly feel that this is a unique experience for everyone to play with an actual band, and with other accomplished players from the Portland area. The invitation goes out to all levels of players in the area who want to attend. Also we are always looking for anyone playing other instruments would like to join in and make it a greater experience for all. Please try to attend a jam soon and see what it's all about.

Hope to see everyone next time.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 1 May 2013 10:43 pm    

Sorry I missed you all this time, Bob, we'll try again in a couple weeks Smile

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2013 6:37 pm    

Bob,

It looks like you are a very gracious host. I'm sorry I'm 3 hours north. These kinds of things are great fun and learning adventures.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2013 1:23 pm    

We will be practicing again Tuesday, May 14 at seven. This will be your last chance to sharpen your skills before the big steel jam on the 19. Brian it would be good to see you at any one of these jams, you're welcome to attend any time you could make it down. Hope to see everyone on Tuesday.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2013 10:47 am    

We will be meeting May 28 at 7 Pm for a Practice Jam. Hope to see everyone then.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2013 9:12 am    

Here are a couple of shots from our get together last Tuesday night. It was great to see everyone again, we had a good time and tried a few new ideas. Hope to see everyone again soon.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2013 8:59 am    

Did you get Eric's guitar fixed or is that just a nice photo prop?

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2013 4:00 pm    

Yes David, The guitar has been up and running for some time now, we use it on every jam night. Hope to see you back soon.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2013 11:19 am    

We will be meeting again on June 18 at seven for another practice jam. You won't want to miss this one, this time everything will be in living color!! Hope to see you then.

Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 3:18 pm    

Hey Bob, when's the next Jam? I gotta try and get out. Been too long. Been woodshedding my Dad chops. Hope you're doing good.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2013 11:38 am    

I Plan to have the next practice jam on July 9 at 7 PM. Hope everyone can make plans to attend again, hope to see you then Scott. Here are a few photos from the last session.

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2013 9:32 am    

My plan is to roll out tonight. Might be a little later than start time. Any inner / SE Portland folk want to roll with me or carpool? If so email me.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 4:32 pm    

We had a very good get together on Tuesday night. This week storm brought a guitar to show us that belongs to his father. It's a 1950s silvertone portable guitar, built kind of like a suitcase, the top flips over to become the carrying handle for the case, or strings up for playing. It has a small self-contained amplifier and speaker, just plug it in and you're ready to play! "Very unique"

Here's the guitar in action again.

Here is a YouTube link with a short video of Josh playing this guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gH0UmTLiGA

Dale was also here for a while, had to leave early so we did not get his photo. Hope to see everyone again in two weeks.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2013 5:52 am    

When is the next jam.? Thanks dom

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 5:44 pm    

The next Jam will be on July 23 at 7 pm. Hope everyone can make it!

Shorty Rogers

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 7:19 am    

Bob, I don't won't sound like I am complaining,as I really appreciate reading about the jams that go on at your place and the larger events at the lodges or clubs, but I for one would appreciate it if you would post a new thread with a date in the subject after each event instead of tacking posts onto older threads. I scroll down through posts and pics that I have seen several times to get to one post that is just a query about the next upcoming date. As a former Corvallis resident for 14 years, I actually have connections with a few of the players involved and enjoy hearing news of these events. I only wish this was going on before I left the NW. Again, just a minor tweak, so if it's easier to keep the status quo, please do.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 3:42 pm    

Hi Shorty, I keep this post running under the same heading so that all of the local folks that attend can keep track of the dates and times. Everyone looks for the same heading so that they can check and see what the schedule will be. It also gives us a way to kind of track the history of this jam. I was not aware that a lot of other folks were reading this from out of town, but I hope to keep things pretty much the same for now. Be sure to stop and visit if you ever get back in the area on a Tuesday night.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 3:55 pm    

Hey Bob---just a suggestion; with the edit button in the very first post of this thread, edit the title, inserting the date of the upcoming get together so that the title is always fresh and timely. You may need to shorten the title to fit it in. This way you can keep this one thread as a running document but keep it fresh and informative in the index at the same time.
I like what you are doing out there. Just trying to help.

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 4:48 pm    

For the record, as someone who attends, I use this thread exactly as Bob intended, makes it easy to keep track of what's happening when I have the privilege of being able to make it. I like it.

I'll try and be there tomorrow Bob! Thanks as always!

Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2013 5:04 pm    

Hey Bob, I don't think We'll be making it out Tomorrow night...Me and Shannon went to the beach this weekend and both came back with colds Mad #@!$%$^%&%*(!!!, I don't like getting sick.

I'll talk to You later Bob, Y'all have a great jam!!!.

Josh,
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2013 7:41 am    

We will be having a Jam again on Tuesday, August 6 at 7 PM. Hope to see everyone then, should be a good night for play.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2013 12:14 pm    

This weeks jam was a good one again, we had Jeff here to play rhythm guitar for us, and Gene did several really nice Hawaiian solos for us on the Rickenbacker guitar.

Dale was here for a while to try out the 12 string Sho-Bud.

Hope to see everyone out again next time.

Scott Hay

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 9:14 pm    

When's the next one?