The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best service free Amp
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 6:57 pm    

What amp have you tried and proven to be a winner?Why would you buy it again?

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 9:01 pm    

That's an interesting question . I wont give any manufacturers names , or prices , so you'll just have to believe me when I say that it sounded great and it never let me down

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 10:58 pm    

Peavey gear is just about indestructable.

Bob

CaseyM

Nampa, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 7:20 am    

I know what you mean, Ingo. I have this awesome guitar of my own, which really wasn't that expensive surprisingly enough, that I really like playing through this one brand of amp that I have. It sounds VERY nice and I can really rip with it. I wonder if it's the same one you tried? However, I have this other amp that I thought would be just as good, if not better. I paid a little more for it so I thought it was going to be a great deal. But now it just sits in my closet. I have another type of guitar in mind that I'd like to get someday that would sound really good through that amp in my closet. But I'll have to save up some money before I can get because they're kind of expensive brand new. I'd like to pick up a used one if anybody knows someone who has one for sale.

CaseyM

[This message was edited by CaseyM on 11 February 2000 at 07:32 AM.]

Frank Venters

Peru,In,USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 7:38 am    

In 1975 I got rid of my Fender Pro Reverb and bought a Fender Twin. Since then I've only had it worked on once, and that was a couple of years ago. I can't complain about the Twin. In fact I found an almost mint silver face plate to replace the original that shows some wear and corrosion.I just got to get off my lazy butt and change it out. 73's...

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 9:22 am    

My old MusicMan amp was a real workhorse - 65 watts, two 12 inch speakers, tube preamp and power amp. It sounded good to me at the time and never needed servicing. Unfortunately it was stolen from the rehearsal space I was in at the time.
I'm very happy with my little Fender Pro Junior right now. It's 15 watts through a 10 inch speaker, with only volume and tone controls (both of which go to 12! ). If something happened to it, I'd try to get another one.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 4:27 pm    

Casey, I've got one of those that I've been thinking about getting rid of, but I really would rather trade than sell. It sounds like you've got just what I'm looking for, so if you want to swap straight across you got yourself a deal.
Jim

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 7:43 am    

Guys, what's all the mystery about?

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 6:10 pm    

My tweed Champ...over 40 years old, only about a dozen components, the tubes are at least 20 years old....NEVER had a problem....not to loud tho,
Aloha,
Mike

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 1:54 pm    

Thanks for your use of Peavey gear, Bob. We strive to build the best gear possible at a reasonable cost and we appreciate your input.

If any forumites would like to receive our company magazine, the MONITOR magazine, I'll be glad to forward a copy to you. I can be reached at 1-877-732-8391. Thanks.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 3:14 am    

Andy,

I've been using the Tech 21 Trademark 60 Amp for years with my lap steel and never had a problem with it. It's a solid state amp with the sounds of the SansAmp so it's quite versatile, loud enough for club gigs and looks grat, too.

Martin

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 11:14 pm    

Andy, my '59 Fender Bassman sounds great and has worked virtually flawlessly for the 22 years I've owned it. I also own an early '90s Fender Vibro-King that sounds similar and has been trouble-free for the 5 or so years I've had it. My '65 Vibrolux has also been very dependable, is lighter than either of the two afore mentioned amps, but sounds a bit different. Not quite as much low end and cleaner sounding unless you really crank it up (sounds good like that, too!). IMO, it's hard to miss with '50s/'60s Fenders and their new stuff ain't bad either. As mentioned above, Peavey stuff is pretty tough, but I'm not a fan of the way their amps sound; just my opinion. Hope this is useful.

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 1:32 pm    

Been playing reso lapsteel and keyboard through the Peavey KB100 Keyboard amp 5years without a problem. 75W to a tweeter and 15" for a fullrange sound that's loud enough for stage at medium venues. I added an SWR California Blonde, which is also great. 100W SS with aural enhancer-its the first amp to make the reso with McIntyre pickup very acoustic sounding without EQ'ing.
Dave stehman

------------------

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 6:57 am    

Never been a Peavey fan...I'm after TONE and I've never heard a Peavey that really turned me on. My old Fenders are all 25 - 50 years old and work perfectly. My brother Bruce Collins at Mission Amps in Denver is the best and most creative amp tech I know. He goes through my amps and replaces all the caps and resistors that have drifted off value and then they'll work perfectly for another 20 years or so with just a tube needing to be replaced now and then. I like the late fifties tweed Deluxe and blackface Deluxe Reverb. I play through a pair of either...one is not loud enough to gig with.

If you just want one, fairly loud and clean sounding amp, I'd look for a '73 or '74 non master volume Super Reverb. Get it "blackfaced" and it'll probably last you the rest of your life...hope we can still find tubes fifty years from now tho!

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2000 7:48 am    

xx

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

SmallCap

Hanau, Germany
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 3:17 am    

Just got a Polytone Taurus Elite 15'' Amp to try it over the next weekend. Had a good sound with guitar in the shop, lets see what it does with the steel

see ya

roland

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jagiella SE-10 3x4 honey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerald Cook

Lexington, OK USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 10:04 am    

I picked up a used Peavey Special 112 (160 watts) that looks brand new. The music store said they just got it in and it had a buzz. At no extra charge, they put a new speaker in for me. This amp has unbelievable sound with plenty of "ummph" when you need it. Unlimited settings (really...too many). Only thing I've done to it is change the spark plugs.

oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 10:44 am    

I can only speak from my own experience. I have a Peavey Session 500 which I bought new when they first were sold here, around 1980 as I recall. I have played an MSA U-12 through it for that time, also a new Carter U-12, an Excel Frypan, a Rickenbacker Bakelite 6 (post war model), and my newest toy--the new Sierra lap steel (my favorite of all guitars). The Session 500 has performed admirably, never been in the shop or needed to go. . . great tone, and power to burn.

I also have a newer Nashville 400 (with factory mods) which I bought to play with my new Carter and Frypan at church. Just too old to be lugging that Session 500. The Nashville 400 is something else! I've had it about 18 months and no problems. I also has great tone and power. Plenty of adjustments.

I also have a Marshall JCM900, full tube type amp, with 12 inch speaker. The Sierra sounds great through it as well. But if I had to vote right now, it would be Peavey all the way, "all things considered." Just MHOP.

ojhicks

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 7:48 am    

vvcc

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 9:20 am    

I used a Fender tweed twin 6 nights a week as well as on the road for over 17 years. I changed the odd tube and checked the bias once in a while. It was perfect but I had an offer for it I couldn't refuse. Since then, I've tried just about everything without being satisfied. I decided to build duplicates of both the Bassman and the Twin. Once again, I am happy and have no problems. You just have to maintain them as you do your guitar. There are other great amps out there but I think the secret is feeling comfortable with what you have. Sometimes, a nice little EQ will make all the difference in the world.
Thanks to all the builders that "build 'em good"
Billy

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 3:14 pm    

I have had my Fender Bandmaster in the shop only once in 35 years. My 2 Musicman HD-130's have been pretty trouble free. I have had one about 23 years, and the other about 14. I had each one in the shop for a similier problem (increasing hum in high power mode). My 57 Fender Pro remains trouble free. My Session 500 had a speaker rub under warranty, but has been trouble free since. My mesa Mark I reissue I have had less than a year, and have had it in the shop for hum in 100 watt mode when using increased reverb. I think this is inherent in these amps. The reverb leaves something to be desired, in my opinion. It is built like a tank, but time will tell.

Lefty
Sho-Bud LDG
Rickenbacker and Gibson lap
Dobro Resophonic

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 8:00 pm    

The best amps I had with no problems were, My Fender Twin Reverb, w/ 2-12"JBL's ,Fender Dual Showman with 2-15" JBLs.

Also my Peavey Nashville 400 w/15" Black Widow speaker, and my Peavey Bandit with the 12" Sheffield speaker in it.

Very good power and sound on all of them and no repairs on any of them....al

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 06 September 2000 at 09:02 PM.]