The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  R Q Jones Resophonic
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2000 3:02 pm    

I realize this is not a steel guitar, but a lot of us are also Dobro players. Years ago I played in a group that had a drummer who also played banjo. We would do a bluegrass set mid-way through a show. He had a Stelling banjo, and also ordered an R. Q. Jones resophonic dobro (Walnut) that was a fine instrument. I wondered if anyone knows of what happened to R. Q. Jones and the company. These also seem to be fairly scarce to find. Any info will be appreciated.

Lefty
ShoBud LDG (lefty)
Rickenbacker and Gbson Lap Steel
Dobro Resophonic

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2000 6:58 pm    

The Dobro® is most definitely a steel guitar and is welcomed in this forum!

Rudy Q. Jones has started building resophonic guitars again after many years. He was one of the top resophonic luthiers during the 1970's. Here's the latest information I had on him:

Rudy Q. Jones
P.O. Box 427
Greensboro, FL 32330

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 17 August 2000 at 07:59 PM.]

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2000 6:59 pm    

In 1977 I bought an R.Q.Jones resophonic guitar that I still have. It had been made for Buck Graves and was a top of the line walnut guitar. Uncle Josh returned it to Rudy and had him make another, even facier Dobro and so I became the lucky recipient of my Jones by default. At the time, handmade resophonic guitars were something new and there were about a half dozen craftsmen building them. Rudy Jones was one of the most skilled and for a decade or so, he produced these fine instruments before retiring. I understand that he is once again turning out an occasional guitar but I haven't seen one of these second generation instruments. His address is listed on Brad's Page of Steel. If you make contact with Mr.Jones, let us know what he's up to.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2000 5:11 am    

Rudy Jones was living in the Greensboro, FL area, just outside Tallahassee, the last I knew. He's been in the general area for about 10 years. However, he's not building any instruments, to my knowledge. Also quite a good player, he performed at the Florida Folk Festival in White Springs about 7 years ago, and maybe even since then. You might get more info on Jones by talking to Gordon Scott, owner of Gordon's String Instruments in Tallahassee, 850-386-7784. I've seen Jones there 2 or 3 times over the past several years. Gordon was able to talk Jones into making him a reso, but he had to work on him for several years.

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 5:40 am    

I have a '77 RQ Jones that I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China. It's absolutely the finest dobro I've ever known. Rudy does build them again. He has a couple of newer Gospel Dobro albums out...the instrument pictured on the cover is mine...Walnut, thin body..Killer axe. Rudy built himself one that has a red metal flake finish (like a drum kit).
The new Resophonics Anonymous CD features three RQ Jones guitars on it, along with a fine picture of the the trio on the back...
www.oakoustic.com

------------------
Tab Tabscott
"Bud Carter is a demi-god"

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2000 9:15 am    

Coincidentally, a R.Q. Jones guitar is now up for auction on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=414189946

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html