The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thought About Giving Up The Steel Guitar
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 1:13 pm    

I wouldn't put it down after all these years. It seems as though every time I've sold something I've regreted it later. I was really down in the dumps for three years with this prostate cancer; seldom played, (course I'm retired) but now I'm coming back, thank God. I've told my wife if I kick off to just give my guitars to our grandchildren, IMO, they're too valuable to sell.

Bill Mayville

Las Vegas Nevada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 1:43 pm     giving up steel guitar

Heard you play lots of times.Not bad at all.
On regul.ar guitar a lively way to practice is playing
out of the E on the fourth fret. A little backwards lick
takes you down to the 6th string ,second fret and then open.
playing that style,you can play a different sound up the whole neck.
Maybe then you will feel so talented you will go back
to the pedal Steel.
Dont quit.
Like smokers.They keep quitting. If they would stop,for ten years or longer they would stop quitting.

Bill

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 1:59 pm    

If you guit because of how you play, and I thought you played well, then a lot of us should quit...me chief among them...I've quit playing a couple of times in my life, 6 years one time and 8 the last time...but if your anything like me, you'll be drawn back, so play while your fingers still work and your not too old to move them... Very Happy
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 2:36 pm    

Quote:
Trust me, My wife ain't happy at all with my decision because she loves hearing me play Steel.

Happy wife. Happy life.

As the pa dutch say: too soon old. too late schmart.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 3:29 pm     Re: I'm Giving Up the Steel Guitar

Nick, I can't believe what I've read.....if you "do" quit steel...hang on to your gear!! I've seen too many friends sell theirs when they got fed up, only to regret, and have to buy all again...you have some good gear too.
I have been through 2 heart by-pass operations,a Brain tumour removal and a Heart transplant in 1999....do you think I'd ever give up my steel playing??? ....NO WAY!!!!! ... NO WAY!!!!! The only time is when my time comes when I go in my casket, and my steels and amps would be in their with me Smile Think hard on this please!!!!! Sad ...I wish you well mate Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 3:58 pm    

Nick, you're a fine Steel Guitar Player! There's nothing wrong with wanting to concentrate on the Tele, but I don't see any reason why you can't play both. I actually prefer gigs that I play one or the other so I can dig in. Find a gig that all you play is the Tele and I guarantee that if you take a pick up Steel gig a few months later you'll have a blast. It'll probably be good for your Steel playing to get a different perspective playing a different instrument.I play different instruments in around 4 bands playing Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, PSG/Lap Steel and Dobro and I think its good for my overall musicality.
Good luck no matter what you end up doing.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 4:37 pm    

OK, my wife & you guys have talked me in to staying with it. Guess I'll just try to do a little of both. I never have been satisfied with my playing so I thought it might be time to move on. But I still like my electrics and want to learn how to play them.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 5:02 pm    

Looks like you have a fine stable of some of the finest pedal and non-pedal instruments to last at least one, or two lifetimes Nick. Just enjoy playing them and don't worry whether you are "good enough" on any of them. Most folks will think that you are great. Heck, If you were to walk around my house you are likely st stumble over a whole bunch of acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins, lap steels and the occasional pedal steel. I just like wandering around the house playing random instruments until I've played it enough and then moving on to the next one. Outside of the scattered household instruments we do keep a fairly clean home (I just wanted to make that point known. I may be a "hippie", but I am not a "dirty hippie".)
In any event, welcome back to the crazy world of pedal steel guitar playing after your retirement.
Duncan

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 6:01 pm    

ok....$200 for just the black d10.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 6:33 pm    

Take a breather for a short while, we all run out of emotion when we work with an Art form, no matter what one we choose Nick. Been there many times!! Enjoy your own playing for what it is, it isen't a competition, God know's i'll never be a Franklin and i have made peace with that.

Re-Charge time!! Smile

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 11:35 pm    

I don't know, Nick. Looks like fun to me.

Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Michael Wolfe

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 2:17 am    

Nick Reed wrote:
OK, my wife & you guys have talked me in to staying with it. Guess I'll just try to do a little of both. I never have been satisfied with my playing so I thought it might be time to move on. But I still like my electrics and want to learn how to play them.

WOW! Cool SG! I love P-90's.

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 7:04 am    

Quote:
However, most of you guys are much better players than me and theres no way I can keep up with you, especially at my age.

C'mon Nick.. Since when is it a race?

Tommy Janiga

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 7:10 am    

I was reading an old thread this morning (about players who inspire you to practice) and came across this from Jason Putnam:

Quote:
The person who got me "hooked" on the steel guitar was my old friend and fellow forum member Nick Reed. I've listened to him play steel since I was a teenager. He was a big influence on me wanting to learn to play.

Smile

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 7:40 am    

Yeah, Nick - you're being too hard on yourself. But go ahead and play that Tele too - it's good for ya'. I'm headed out to the Howard Fire Hall today to play about the only country music venue/jam around here armed with a Zum, a Tele, and an old Deluxe Reverb. Covers all the bases, mucho fun.

And don't forget that late 60s SG Special. Those P90s are great, and for a lot more than just windmill power chords.

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 12:25 pm     Don't Sell your Gear!!

I'm just a nobody, a really marginal Steel Player and a mid-level guitar player. I always say that I am a much better collector than player. Every time I go to ISGC in St. Louis or Nashville....I feel like I should just burn my gear. After a few days, all is well. I know I will never be worthy to even unpack Buddy Emmons', Doug Jernigan's or Mike Sigler's guitar cases, but that's not what it's about. I just love the sound of the Instrument, albeit a major challenge to learn, these guys inspire me to keep on trying. I've learned that there are certain things I can do very well on either side of the glass and a lot that I can't do and I'm OK with that. You can play both Steel and Tele.

Like John Sebastian said in "Nashville Cats"- 'Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two Guitar pickers in Nashville And they can pick more notes than the number of ants On a Tennessee anthill.
Yeah, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar cases in Nashville And any one that unpacks his guitar could play Twice as better than I will.'

Most of us need the talent and inspiration of the true geniuses to show us the way

Just be careful on the Tele, though! You may run into guys like Dino Strunk and then wadda you do? Keep on Playing!

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 7:52 pm     Good Luck To You, Nick

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Nick : Man, you know that you can play one of those Emmons or any other pedal steel you may own; but keep your head up high. You've always been a good buddy to many of us here on the forum & I commend you for your loyalty to we fellow steelers; you have always been a promotor to any other person, whom loves the steel guitar, whether we play or just love the sounds of the instrument. I respect you in whatever you decide to do. Nick; stay with the steel, buddy..Remember, We all love you, brother and " GOD " does, too..Cheers..Bernie Whoa! Whoa!

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 7:53 pm     Good Luck To You, Nick

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Nick : Man, you know that you can play one of those Emmons or any other pedal steel you may own; but keep your head up high. You've always been a good buddy to many of us here on the forum & I commend you for your loyalty to we fellow steelers; you have always been a promotor to any other person, whom loves the steel guitar, whether we play or just love the sounds of the instrument. I respect you in whatever you decide to do. Nick; stay with the steel, buddy..Remember, We all love you, brother and " GOD " does, too..Cheers..Bernie Whoa! Whoa!

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 8:39 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
ok....$200 for just the black d10.

I'll go $250.00. Smile

Mitch

Ron Kirby

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 2:23 am    

Hey Nick, I am glad you decided to stay with the steel. I remember a time over at Bobbe's steel shop. I was having a talk with some one and all of a sudden I heard someone playing some very smooth and fine playing. I turned to see who! and it was YOU! Stay with it Nick. Smile

Ronnie

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 5:51 am    

everybody's urging you to stick w: it Nick
somebody's gotta tell you to hang it up ! let it go !
don't burn or throw your gear out, let someone who can play it, benefit Winking

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 7:33 am     Tele time but keep the Pedal steels

Nick I only know you through The Forum (think "keyless" Smile ) but I feel the same as many of the folks on this Forum do. Put the steels away (but keep one set up) and as Dave M. says, jump into the Telecaster experience. That steel being set up will soon be calling your name as the Tele does now.

Personally, I've tried to play lead guitar with out band that past 5 years (by default...nobody else would do it). For me 6 string lead is also not easy to master and I never feel I will be good enough at it. But I only look for incremental progress on both.

Some have heard you play and feel you are exagerrating about how ordinary your steel playing is. Sometimes we are our own worse critics.

Aee you retired by any chance? if not, you may find you will have lots of time for both if you love music. My guess is you do.

Perhaps,as a last resort, you should undergo "shock therapy" and buy or trade for a Keyless. Nah... I doubt it's that bad. Take care, buddy, steve t

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 8:03 am    

I'm still a much better guitar player and bass player, which is why I play steel. My suggestion: take up bagpipes. Over on the accordion forum, they say their train, oh lawzy it's a-comin.' Of course, they're accordion players, what would you expect?

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 11:11 am    

OK,OK,I see the problem,you have too many Tele's,you need to give me one then you'll get better at playing steel but I'll still stink at steel & Tele.But that's a chance I'm willing to take,Watcha say?I'll take tha blue un'.

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 5:45 pm    

Nick,
I am 60+ yrs old. I have played guitar since I was in my teens and picked up Dobro in 1996 because I loved the sound of the instrument. Banjo and fiddle never intrigued me.
In Nov 2011 I decided I wanted to learn to play PSG. I know I am behind a lot of others at all these instruments and will never be Nashville quality, but I figure if I am having fun and don't embarrass myself too badly I have accomplished a lot. Each day I get better, learn another lick, and pick up some music theory. I have learned that everyone is at some stage of musical development until we either pass on or can no longer play.
I am an engineer by profession, a musician by choice and for enjoyment. God had given me two very special gifts.
Hang in there.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.