The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Patch Cords-any suggestions
Craig Villalon

Charlottesville Va.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 1:24 pm    

I have been using five patch cords in my setup with my derby and nashville 1000. It has been suggested that I consider using a good quality cable...I have been using guitar patch cords purchased at a local guitar shop...any recommendations?

I have noticed that some people use a really thin guage cord and others seem to be using the regular guitar type chord...any opionions on this equipment? Should i get custom cables cut to precise lenths..i know that i should not have a lot of extra cable in the loop and i have plenty.

Craig

VERNON PRIDDY

ELIZABETHTOWN; KY. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 1:34 pm    

Bill Lawrence or George L"S Is What I Have Been Useing For Years. I Think They Are The Best. My 2 Cents. SONNY.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 1:35 pm    

Craig---get yourself a nice length of GeorgeL cable and as many plugs as you need. Make the cables yourself. I do not exaggerate when I say that all you do is cut the wire to length, stick it in the back of the plug and tighten a screw. Done. This is the thin wire you have seen. It doesn't lay as nice as more pliable cords but it works great, holds up just fine, sounds excellent, can be made precisely to your needs, and is sort of the steel industry standard. Any one of our steel accessory dealers sells the wire by the foot.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 8:07 pm    

George L's, it sounds good, you don't need a soldering iron and it's a thin cable so it doesn't take up a lot of space. I had a setup, a while ago, where I had over a dozen cables going between two racks and the space savings was really noticable.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 9:41 pm    

I recommend Monster cables. I use one to go to the amp since it is the longest one. I'm not running down any other brand of cords,but these are well constucted cables. They cost a bit more too,but worth it in my opinion.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 9:56 pm    

George L's. Simple and best. Buy 50 feet or so, the connectors you like, and get the colored strain relief covers. Color code your set up.
Made my life simpler. More time to practice.
Hope this helps.

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 12:37 pm    

George L's.

------------------

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 12:44 pm    

Goerge L's. It's the best way to go. They also have the larger cable (.225 I think). If you have any trouble finding them, email me. I keep some in stock.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 6:18 pm    

No doubt about it, the thin "George L" type.

I get mine from Sierra here in Portland.

Get a 30 footer for long runs a couple 10's a couple 6's and a couple 3's. The 90 degree fittings work a good as the straight ones. A bit of fingernail polish keeps the ends from unscrewing on the 90 deg fittings.

I've been questioned for years on the merits of the thin cable, and once in the studio we tested several different ones for "noise" and buzz receptivity. The thin ones beat the others hands down. I'm told that it's from less suare inch area of "shielding" which tends to pick up interference. I dunno, but I know they are quieter than any thick ones I've tested.

I know they're the best. You can fix them in a minute, and you know that you can trust them.

EJL

James Winwood

New York, New York
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 4:01 pm    

I've tried many cables- standard, monster george l's. I wholeheartedly recommend Two-Rock guitar cables. Nothing comes close to my ear. They are pricey...but they are like taking a bunch of invisible wet blankets off your amplifier. I have recently gone to an all Two-Rock rig. It's ecstaticly satisfying to say the least.

Craig Villalon

Charlottesville Va.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 5:04 pm    

Thanks guys for for the info on cords....I have used Monster Cables on my strat but think I will probably try the George L's .

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 5:15 pm    

Moved to 'Electronics' section of the Forum