The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning a Fender 2000
Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 4:28 pm    

I have bought the most beautiful Fender 2000 on the planet,it is in MINT condition. I treated the beauty to a new set of strings, and that is where my problem has occured. How do I tune in the pedals? I can see there is adjusting screws at the changer end of the guitar,but there is 3 rows of them.
Can someone steer me in the right direction
Regards
Ted Nesbitt

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 5:25 pm    

Ted,

It has been a long long time. But I believe the following is correct. The 2000 is a double reaise, double lowere changer system. So there should be actually 4 rows of screws. Two raise and two lower for each string.

These 4 screws are; two silver and two black screws for each string. One of the set (I can't remember which) raises and the other color lowers.

I do not understand 3 rows. The first Fender PSG's were their 1000 and 400 PSG's. They were single raise and single lowers systems. So they had only two rows. The 400 was a S-8. The 1000 was a D-8

Then they came out with the 2000 and the 800. They were D-10 and S-10 respectively. These were both double raise and double lower PSG's. And they had 4 rows of tuning screws as stated above.

Since the screws are directly in line with the strings, try engaging a pedal that is attached to a given string and see what happens when you adjust one of the screws associated with that string. If it does nothing, that raise (or lower) is not being pulled.

With just a little bit of testing, you should quickly be able to figure out the trick,

May Jesus bless you in your quests,

carl

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 6:47 pm    

The topmost row of screws are the lower return spring adjustments.These are easily identified by the individual holes for each screw drilled in the endplate.Beneath that is a rectangular cutout revealing two rows of 20 screws - one for each of the two raise/lowers.The raise and lower adjustments are side by side alternating - silver screw is raise and black screw is lower.The second row of 20 silver/black screws is the second raise/lower. BTW,once tweaked,these guitars really hold their tuning well. -MJ-

Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 1:10 pm    

Many thanks to Carl Dixon and Michael Johnstone for your very welcome advise on tuning my Fender 2000. Had it in perfect tune in a couple of minutes after reading your post. Micheal,just one more question. Is there any way I can adjust the A pedal(raises 5 and 10 b to g# )as it is very hard to pedal. Pedals B and C are ok,but pedal A is very hard to push down. I reckon youve had a few Fenders in your time
Regards
Ted Nesbitt

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 2:06 am    

I think you meant B to C# not B to G#. Anyhow,there are not too many places along the pulling train to alter the leverage on a Fender.There is one place however and that is on the pedal rod attachment - there are two holes on which you can attach the pedal rod. The one nearest to the fulcrum will give you the easiest pull tho it will be a tad longer. Remember - nothing is free in physics. -MJ-