The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '72 Emmons PP Questions
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 7:11 am    

I ran across this guitar, 72 PP D 10, been sitting around for a long time and nasty but even with the dirt and rust on the strings the guitar sounds really good, I mean really good!~!

However the knee levers and some pedals don't feel exactly right. I really don't know how to tune them but my main concern is, can a guitar that old can be adjusted to work as good as the guitars of today? I know the technology is different today.

I would like to make an offer on the guitar and was wondering about what the price range would be to get a tech to go through it and clean it up and set it up correctly. Also if anyone has an idea about how much a 72 PP is worth? Thanks

Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 8:58 am    

Billy,
First off, I'm definately no expert, but I AM a steel player and I DO play a '72 Emmons Push/Pull and it plays as smooth as anything I've tried and stays in tune perfectly.

As a side-note, my instructor during the last 3 years, plays an Emmons LeGrande II and he's deeply impressed by my old guitar's playability and the way it sounds.

If you have any doubt about these guitar's qualities, I'd suggest you contact Bobbe Seymour at SteelGuitar Nashville http://www.steelguitar.net - he's one of the true experts on these guitars!

Hope this helps

Ole

[This message was edited by Ole Dantoft on 09 February 2003 at 08:59 AM.]

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 9:15 am    

I play a 1972 Emmons dbl-10. The first thing I became aware of was the TONE and I have the stock pickups. The second thing I realized is how well it remains in tune. No matter how many miles I've hauled it; no matter the fluxuations in temperature extremes; No matter how old the strings; it remains a solid platform on which to play.
Shoot for maybe $500 and juggle from there.
Is anything actually broken or otherwise damaged underneath? If not, a pro tune-up could give a mighty fine machine. Good Luck!

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 2:22 pm    

Billy, call Bobbe Seymour at Steel Guitar Nashville at 615-822-5555. He will answer all your questions thoroughly and if you do decide to let him and Jeff Peterson (Clint Black band) do the work, you will get it back in new condition and it will play butter smooth. Its well worth it.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 6:22 pm    

Billy - Where did you say that guitar was?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 7:26 pm    

I made the guy an offer he couldn't refuse! This Emmons PP guitar feels right, feels good and sounds really good. Thanks to all!!