The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How often should we change strings?
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 8:30 am    

I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are on how often we should change strings on our steels? Do you determine this in hours played or time since the last time you changed? I use GHS Boomers.Thanks for any input you might have.
Neil

Sho-Bud Super Pro 8X5, Nashville 1000

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 10:07 am    

Depends on who you are? I have heard on pretty reliable sources that some of the "pros" changes strings before each recording session. Woweeeeee!

From that, I have heard everything imaginable. From every day to the point where the strings are so rusty, the 3rd string is now a .060 cause uv the brown colored barnacles on it.

I literally hate to change strings. Plus I hate the stretch "break-in" period. Plus, I hate the "buzz" on the bass strings before they get worn down a bit. So, I rarely ever change them. Since I don't play outside my music room, and NO body hears me but me (cept my wife), suits me "jes' fine".

I strongly suggest that most of you change them closer to what the pros do. I hope so anyway. And may the Lord be your guide you when you do,

carl

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 10:16 am    

I change them according to which strings "mightbreak" at an embarassingtime www.genejones.com

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 10:54 am    

Bobby Koefer used to keep the same strings until the windings of the wound strings wore through -- and he had a great sound.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 11:40 am    

I change them all when one breaks, but I only play C6th so I don't have that problem string that E9th players suffer (3rd?). I also currently only play for myself, so I'm not trying to impress anyone with my competance or tone or lack thereof. I set the pedal tunings for a set of strings that have stretched out for a few weeks, because I figure it's better to find an average between new and old than to set them on the new strings and subsequently play out of tune for months.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 12:11 pm    

When I used to play full time 5 or 6 nights a week I always changed the 3rd string once a week, the 5th string every two weeks and the 4th & 10th strings about once a month. I hardly ever broke a string on the gig doing it this way. The other ones sometimes stayed on the guitar for a year or two or till they got so dead that I had to change them. On my electric guitar, I changed all six strings once a week.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 5:40 am    

Way back when I used to worry sometimes about where the next hamburger was coming from, I would refurbish my strings with one of my wifes emory-boards that she used on her fingernails. I was lucky to have the money to change strings once a year! www.genejones.com

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 2:13 am    

Using the Blitz Cloth one string at a time, between the thumb and forefinger (if you have one of each on one hand), will prolong the life and sound of your strings. Maybe just once or twice a week will make a big difference. Then, when the initial stretch is out of new strings, they'll still sound new, without the hassle of the stretch! John http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 9:59 am    

I have the original strings on my Fenders.
They sound like I want them to.

Like Roy said,I hate new strings. My strings as as old as I am. But they are not as old as Roy.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 10:04 am    

I've determined to my satisfaction that older worn strings ad warmth and character to one's SOUND. New strings, to my ear, have a THIN, inexperienced ring to them.
When a string(s) goes "THUMP" or "THUD" when plucked, it's time for a change. Otherwise once a year is fine for my in-house playing.
Don't they have someone that goes around house to house to change strings for pickers?
That would be a really neat service.

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 10:14 am    

I agree with all of you.....old strings on non-pedals should mature until the bar is in danger being damaged....strings on pedal guitars should prevail until they are potentially ready to break... www.genejones.com

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 7:41 pm    

I picked up a piece of white scotchbrite pad at the local auto paint supply for a small job,discovered that it worked fine for cleaning strings,use a postage size piece and fold it around each string and use like sandpaper.
A friend of mine a long time ago used to boil his strings in kerosene,claimed it brought them back to life.

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 10:20 am    

Quote:
New strings, to my ear, have a THIN, inexperienced ring to them.

Yes, there is something to this. That thin, wispy, metallic character is a poor reward for all the effort involved in changing them. ("Where's the beef?") I think the best tone occurs after two to three weeks of seasoning on the guitar.

The sixth string on E9th often drives me to change when it seems to become untunable. (It could be mood, though; I'm not sure these instruments are ever tunable.)

------------------
Jeff

"I'll take a kind heathen over a hateful 'Christian' any day."