The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 jazz runs
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 7:48 am    

Hi-

I'm new to the psg back neck, but comfortable with 8 string C6th non-pedal. I've found some great resources on line for more complex chord work using pedals, but not much on single note runs, which I'm interested in. I'm looking for tab for longer jazz runs in the style of P. Franklin, T.White and Herby Wallace, to name a few (this vid was a recent inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3nC0vfN9xY ). I find this style of learning very helpful- taking on a large 'technical' chunk of music slowly, and letting theory creep into the mix with technique. Of course I could continue to slow down the audio and piece it together, but tab would be helpful.

Any recommendations?

Asa

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 9:01 am    

To me that's more swing than jazz.However you think of it. It's very likely Herby tabbed the entire song.You could check his website. Herby tabbed tons and tons of tunes before his passing.I'm sure the business would be appreciated.

Best of luck.
bb

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 10:12 am    

Here's you a jazz player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgIiGleKKo0

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 10:57 am    

yes- agreed. the intersection of jazz/swing/steel guitar. there must be a name for it??? Wink
I'm thinking of P. Franklin's 'swingier' Time Jumpers breaks. i'm looking for something 'advanced' meaning, among other things, beyond my grasp. i'll take a look at Herby Wallace's tabs.
in the meantime, more Buck Reid at 1/4 speed.

asa

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 11:21 am    

AB -

Check out Jim Loessberg's website: http://jimloessberg.com/. FF.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 11:33 am    

Quote:
slow down the audio

Tab, Jamey Aebersold courses, Sid Hudson Tutorials, so many means to an end. I suggest before you explore "runs" of said mentioned players on your post, to consider the following. And its not like those guys you talked about are to be discounted...You said to "slow down," so I'll assume you have an application or external piece of hardware that will facilitate just that. I just recently transcribed the first adlib solo on this ditty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxK-p2Xt6-Q

Many phrases from the above link are within two frets. Allow your ear to guide you as a little ear training goes a long way. Whatever tune you are working on, you'll need a chord chart so you can associate your learned runs within the chord structure. I know there are a few "blow hards" who will preach book smarts first. But I suspect you wanna increase your playing vocabulary first as those runs will eventually augment your retained theory knowledge. Once you've reach some goals, short term or long, tab it out or record it. So many tunes, so little time...
Oh BTW, I'm up to 105 BPM on my recent transcription...isn't that something?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 12:09 pm    

By the way, Buck Reid's stuff has all been tabbed out by Fred Amendola and is available for sale.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 12:36 pm    

Hi Asa,

Jim, your neighbor here. I've heard some cuts you've been on - great playing.
I'd be into getting together and trading some licks if you are up for it. I'm in Waterbury Center. PM me if you are interested.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 12:47 pm    

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/products/Steel-Guitarist-Magazine-%252d-All-6-Issues.html

Buddy Emmons had some At E's pages in a couple of these magazines titled Pockets or something like that. It's all single note patterns on the C neck particularly for jazz, but is relevant to all music. Good today same as it was in the 70, 80's.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 3:08 pm     Re: NS

Thanks for the help guys-

Jim- I'd love to take you up on that, however im in Nova Scotia for the next two years- i wish i had made it happen before the move. I really like your playing- in fact I had the pleasure of learning your parts for a few gigs with the Starline Rhythm Boys last year. Looking forward to more Stone Cold Roosters!

Frank Montmarquet

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 3:47 pm    

Try starting from the beginning. Play some Armstrong hot five/seven stuff. Move on to Basie, Lester Young, big band is full of good solos to learn. Goodman is as much jazz as is Bird.

Bird knew all of The Pres's solos.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 6:45 am    

Asa, I'm envious - Nova Scotia. I've always wanted to test the fishing waters there.
Well when you get back give me a jingle.
BTW - I had the "At E's Pockets" article in the old Steel Guitar magazines Jerry alludes to and this was very helpful for developing single note runs in the 6th mode on my S12U.

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 6:55 am    

Contact Reece Anderson.

Henry Senior

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 9:46 am    

Has Reece done any instructional material that is available?

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 12:04 pm    

Gary Lee Gimble wrote:

Sid Hudson Tutorials

Gary- what Sid Hudson tutorials do you refer to? I am questing the same thing as Asa. I've not found anything on youtube.

I have ordered Jim Loessberg's newest course, which consists of tab and talk. I'm hoping that Jim discusses a "system" or a way of visualizing the fretboard and pockets that he play out of.

Every few years I revisit the Emmons articles abut pockets in Steel Guitar magazine, but they have not stuck with me yet. Gotta keep trying.

But I would like to see what Sid Hudson has to offer- I love his playing.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 1:37 pm    

Asa, I think I understand what you're looking for and while there's all kinds of tab and transcriptions available that would help in your quest, I'd say look at the single note portion of Buddy Emmons' C6 course, Tommy White's transcriptions of John Hughey's C6 work, and especially Steve Palousek's C6 intermediate and advanced videos. Steve's courses are LOADED with hot licks that will give you ideas for years, mostly based on bar movement, not so much pedal work.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 9:52 am    

I posted these a while ago - not tab, but useful for learning the vocabulary of jazz:

It's down a little ways on page 1, 50 bebop licks
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=222844&highlight=