The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lube Job for my Sho Bud
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 11:06 pm    

What is the correct way to lubricate my Sho Bud Fingertip model? What lubricant and where should it be applied?

Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 6:03 am    

As to correct way? For the small, intricate places, I use a small hypodermic needle, i.e. an insulin needle maybe.
Lube? I use white lithium. Also have used a "teflon grease" that a friend gave me. Both work well. You just want something that's not going to dry out and gum up.
Where to lube? Any place where two pieces of metal rub against one another.
To lube the changer fingers, you have to tear down the mechanics of it all, take out the changers, drive out the large finger pins, and probably clean all of the assembly and the pins real good with solvent. Dry them. And then in putting the large pins back thru the holes of the changer fingers, make sure all of it is really lubricated well. Wipe off excess. This part is not an easy task. I know.
To work on a "Fingertip" it requires a whole lot of patience and some practical mechanical ability. About the time you think you can't do it, just remember: They put that baby together at the factory, it can also come apart and go back together again just like it went together back then! It's not rocket science. This may sound over simplified, but it's worked for me. Patience and time is your best ally. Also when in doubt or stumped, call Duane Marrs. He's a great friend of the steel guitar community and those of us who have worked on these babies. Especially the Sho-Bud's. Best regards, LBH
67 D-10 Sho-Bud Fingertip, 9x4, Ser 7 213 213,N'ville 400 Amp

[This message was edited by Larry Harlan on 28 January 2003 at 06:05 AM.]

[This message was edited by Larry Harlan on 28 January 2003 at 06:06 AM.]

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 7:24 pm    

Duanne Marrs 615-868-5344.

Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 1:47 pm    

Thanks, Kevin. I have Duane's number somewhere on my desk at work and didn't have it handy when I typed the thread.
Best regards, Larry

Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 10:28 pm    

Thanks for the advice fellows. On your advice, I gave Duane Marrs a call. What a great guy. Very generous with his time and a wealth of steel guitar knowledge.

MW