The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I am totally confused!
Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 6:53 pm    

If Johnny did get paid to play a special guitar ,what would be wrong with that? Everybody has to make a living. When someone plays a guitar on nation wide tv ,the builder surely gets a lot of benefit from it.So why shouldn't the player?

Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2003 2:42 pm    

Now! Now! Buck.

Let's not enter reality and common sense into the equation.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2003 8:28 am    

The bottom line is that there are a lot of outstanding steel guitars being made today, and we have a wide range of styles, shapes, colors etc. to choose from. We can all get whatever we want (and can afford), The days of attaching car accelerator pedals to lap steels are gone forever.

When we say "There's no accounting for taste" we usually mean it as an insult, but in fact there truly is no accounting for it. Some people like Italian food, some prefer Chinese. (I like them both, and way too much as my waistline shows, but that's another story.) Some of us like red guitars. Some like blue. Some of us play a D-10, others an S 10 or S 12.

Like I said, it's all there for us to pick and choose from, and I say hooray for that.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2003 8:49 am    

Buy the Steel that has the appearance, playablity and sound that you like. The only thing that I would do is buy it setup to the max. Maybe 9 pedals and 8 knee levers..A Steel that you can grow into rather than wish you had more of. You don't have to use it all but there probably will come a day when you hear one of those phrases that you just gotta learn, but if it ain't on your Steel..well you know the drill....

Concerning TW and JC on the GOO with the Steel of the evening..They can and should just play whatever Instrument they want, and if they are fortunate to get paid to do it....no big deal...

Remember all those Hee Haw days..I recall everyone endorsed Peavey Amps and Guitars..now I ask you..would you put down your favorite Tele' for a Peavey imitation Tele' ...for no money ? NOT...

tp

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2003 4:21 pm    

I know better than to say what I feel.

[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 25 January 2003 at 04:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 26 January 2003 at 08:33 AM.]

Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 12:50 pm    

Lets try this route,,,if you are an up and coming psg company, or one that has been around for a while and needs a kick in the fanny, you are going to find the people with the most "visibility" and try very hard to get your guitar in their hands...simple economics...but, the pgs must be top quailty before those players would consider them..they have worked very hard getting where they are, and are not about to jeopardize that for a free guitar.......as for the "buyer", that's easy..Most of us could buy that one psg no matter what the cost..so we look at what the "big boys" are playing and proceed from there....that way "NOBODY LOOSES".........tom

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2003 5:16 pm    

Quote:
would you put down your favorite Tele' for a Peavey imitation Tele'

Actually those Peavey Teles are very nice. I wouldn't trade my '68 with a B bender made by my father for one, but I also wouldn't mind having one at all. I think they are a step up from the cheaper Mexican Teles or squires.